German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 1/2 year old male GSD. Over the past several days he has developed nasal depigmentation (it looks like anyways) followed now by discharge. He is licking his nose now and some sneezing but otherwise doesn’t seem affected. I of course start googling (I know, don’t do that) and come across Aspergillosis which sounds horrible. I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this or would be as concerned? He does have a yearly check up next week December 1 but if I need to take him in earlier I will absolutely. I can’t imagine it being a contact thing as he is not around other dogs. I live in PA so it’s been a cold and wet fall. Thank you for your input in advance. I will post pictures (he’s camera shy ❤?) the first two are from today and look worse and the last two are last night.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
One of my shepherds did have nasal aspergillus. It is typically only on one side and does cause discoloration in the nostril that it presents with. Frieda's nostril turned from black to pink in the nostril and under it. Her nose became very painful.
If the discharge is on both sides it is unlikely to be aspergillus but more likely to be some sort of allergy or infection.
I would bring your dog to the vet as soon as possible just to be sure. If aspergillosis, treatment is a nasal flush with anti fungal and itraconazole for a few months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys so much for your responses. I’m going to call the vet tomorrow after I reevaluate in the morning. Luckily he isn’t bothered so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. Saw the vet and he thinks it was just a cold but could be a sinus infection so gave me doxycycline for him. It started to clear on its own so I haven’t given him the antibiotics yet. If needed I will. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts