German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my male Shepherd has nasal arteritis with severe bleeding. The vet has been treating him for 4 weeks now with antibiotics, vitamin B3 and Elidel cream (steroid cream). It is coming along very slowly. Anyone had any experience with this. He also has skin allergies, yeast and bacterial infections
Thank you.
Sharon

·
Registered
5,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Sharon & WELCOME!

So sorry your dog and you are going thru this.

"He also has skin allergies, yeast and bacterial infections" What exactly is he eating? (Brand of food and treats)

Is he on a High Quality Probiotic to put the "good bacteria" back into his gut that the antibiotic is killing?

Has your vet discussed possibly changing the Elidel for Tacrolimus?
Although this study did surgery on the dog, when not seeing improvement with the Elidel, switched to Tacrolimus. Just a thought.
(My son's dog was treated with Tacrolimus for anal fistula....not exactly the same but your dog's condition caught my attention.)
( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28990239 )
"Topical application of 0.1% tacrolimus twice daily resulted in complete healing of the ulceration and normalization of the epidermis. Over the subsequent 15 months, the dog's lesions remained in remission with topical tacrolimus application twice daily.

CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL IMPORTANCE:

Topical tacrolimus ointment appeared effective at inducing and maintaining lesion remission in this dog with nasal philtrum arteritis."

Moms :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts