German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to submit the paperwork to get our Angel a AKC PAL number so that she can be eligible for Agility if we decide to do it at some point. I know when you actually register a full blood dog, you have the registered name as well as call name.

Do/Should we do a seperate name for her for the PAL number or is it ok to just use her regular call name?? Is there any specific protocols for this?

Thanks in advance!

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Many people use their name as well as the dog's call name for the registered name.

Such as Daphne's Angel or King of Szczuka.

You want it to be unique enough that if you do some sort of performance event, the name will be diifferent from all of the other dogs in the catalog.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
It's neat to come up with a special registration name. I have used my last name, made it really stand out and I can pick it immediately out of a list of dog names. Say your last name is Smith and you call your dog Smith's White Rose or something like that... or use a place like Poconos Blue Rain or something....

Whatever you REALLY call your dog is their call name and can be based on your registered name (like Bretta v Wildhaus I call Bretta Lee) or not. The registered name is for the Fame and Glory (so using your last name is cool) but what you call the dog at the trial or when training can be anything you want!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I PAL all my performance rescues with a "kennel" name. You can give them a long name and call them by another. I had Merry Meet Fire of Brighid aka "Bridgie", Meet Meet Walkin' on Sunshine aka "Soleil" and Merry Meet Dontchadovoodoo aka "Voodoo" for example.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!! Great suggestions and I would have never thought about having a "unique" name for the competitions!! We are not sure yet if we will compete with her, but going to watch our first agility trial in a couple of weeks and want to watch some obedience trials/rally to see what we think she might have more fun at!!

I think we will probably do something with our last name - great suggestions - thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts