German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a German Shepherd pup about a month ago. His name is Reagan. I've never owned a pure breed dog before so I don't know what to put on his paper work. I'm pretty sure he's more or less a no name bloodline because when I google his parents nothing comes up. How do I fill those other 24 spaces on the paperwork, is there some sort of convention?

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
No, you name your pup however you want, you don't have to use all the space. HOWEVER you want to use something no one will have. For example, if your last name were Smith, you would name your pup Smith's Reagan Or Reagan Smith.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Too bad the breeders don't register pups before they sell them with their kennel name...it would eliminate the random names and all the dogs would be easier to trace.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think it's neat if you put things in their registered name that have a meaning, maybe remind you of the day you brought them home or why you decided to get them,
my border collies registered name is Indy bluestorm he's a blue merle and it was storming so bad the night we picked him up there were tornado warnings out.
Frank my GSD has Hearts in his registered name because he was a 20th wedd. ann. present from my husband.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I think it's neat if you put things in their registered name that have a meaning, maybe remind you of the day you brought them home or why you decided to get them,
my border collies registered name is Indy bluestorm he's a blue merle and it was storming so bad the night we picked him up there were tornado warnings out.
Frank my GSD has Hearts in his registered name because he was a 20th wedd. ann. present from my husband.
How creative!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
The dog's name needs to be unique, so if you just put Regan the AKC will make it Regan IV or whatever. My mother-in-law named her dog Shadow Boxer and his registration papers came back Shadow Boxer VII. To avoid this, I named Rocky "ATX Rocky Road" because we were living in Austin, TX at the time and I liked Rocky Road ice cream.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm in the same boat..scratching my head to come up with a unique combination of names for Zorro that makes sense and is fun to remember as well. Zorro de la vega, etc

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I didn't understand the paperwork either.

Sinister is registered as "Sinister Black" :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My boy is registered just as he is named....Zisso.

My girl was registered before I ever got her as Marjos Broken Brody...no clue what it means to anyone Her call name is Nadia which I changed the spelling as it was Naudia when I got her ...wish she had a cute name but I didn't change it when she came here . I like Z's name so didn't feel the need.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Last part of name is usually the breeder/haus you got him from.

For example my boy is Romeo Bär vom Zeder Kämme.

he is from the R2 litter the breeder is Zeder Kamme.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The naming seems tricky to a lot of people at first but it's really pretty easy.

For dogs from serious breeders with kennel name the formula is usually Kennel Name's Dog Name or Dog Name of/von/vom/de la (depending on breed/language/breeder) Kennel Name. The kennel name the dog's breeder, sometimes there is more than one with co-breedings. So if your dog came from a breeder with a kennel name, you can just use that combined with his call name. For example, if the kennel name was Blue's GSDs, he could be Blue's Reagan.

Now if your dog came from a pet breeder who doesn't use a kennel name, you'll want to make your registered name more unique. As already mentioned, if you just register him as Reagan, he'll probably come back with a number after his name. You can use your first or last name as a kennel name or your initials. If you are Joe Smith, he could be registered as Joe's Reagan, Smith's Reagan or JS Reagan. Other options are using your town's name as a kennel name (Townville's Reagan, Reagan of Townville), or your street (Woodrow's Reagan, Reagan of Woodrow).

And of course, you don't have to use his call name as his registered name in part or in whole. Many people prefer to use song titles, movies, phrases, foreign names or things they just like the sound of to create a unique name. Sometimes these tie into the call name, sometimes not. Several of my dog's have song related names. Jagger is Images (kennel name) It's Only Rock N Roll, his call name and registered name obviously go together. His daughter is Aleron's (kennel name) Sweet Pandora but she's called Zette, which doesn't tie together at all. Really there are soooo many possibilities, the hardest thing about registered names is picking just one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts