German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the breeder today and picked out our pup. I found out about the litter from our local German Shepherd club president so I was the first to put down a deposit, and got the first pick. The little guy we chose had a medium energy level, handled my semi-hyperactive girls well, and took to my wife immediately. The problem is that we can't agree on a name and I would love to get some input from some of the members here. Here are a few pictures of the puppy along with a couple of his brother Riddick, from another litter.

Puppy 3.jpg

Puppy 1.jpg

Puppy 2.jpg

Riddick 1.jpg

Riddick 2.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, he is six weeks old and we won't be able to bring him home for a couple of weeks. I thought it was cool that his ears were already up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
what names were you guys considering?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is list compiled by the family in no particular order:

Major, Blitz, Duke, Reno, Teddy, Apollo, Sammy, Monty, Ellis, Crash, Camo, Jackson, Audie, Bogey, Tank, Bear, Chief, Dutch, Hank, and Waylon.

As you can see, they're all over the place. He is going to have a pretty dark face and be over 100 pounds. I think I've put more thought into this name than I did for my children.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He's adorable-- and his brother is gorgeous! It's hard to pick a name without being around him but out of the names you listed I like Ellis and Teddy. I also like Ozzy, Sig, Judge, Moses--names of other dogs on this forum.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I like Apollo and Crash. Blitz is far too common in GSDs I think, as cool as it is. My first thought when I saw him though was "Ryder."

Anyway cute pup, but Remi's ears were also up at 6 weeks and then floppy from 7 weeks to 3 months! But it's so cute when they stand up for a little while at that age, so cute!

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
OK my favorite on your list is Waylon - In part because I like Waylon Jenning's singing. Wasn't it a David Allen Cole song that had "You don't have to call me Darlin', Darlin, You don't even have to call me by my name." ? I'd probably have a call name of Waylie.

Another thing to consider is what your breeder's requirements are. The first purchased pup had a dreadful name already attached, the next two needed to have names that started with a certain letter of the alphabet. One was "P" the other "V" I went through the dictionary in the second case, in the first case the breeder chose the name because I had forgotten that the name needed to start with "P".

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
What litter is he from? Sometimes narrowing down to the letter is easier so you're not as all over the place. Or, if the letter sucks...then it screws you (mine in P--ick!). But worth a shot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There aren't any name requirements from the breeder that I'm aware of. Ellis is my favorite so far, but I love the input. Thanks all.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
If I was going to name a GSD, I would pick a composer's name. Not Beethoven, because everybody knows he is a St. Bernard.

Bach, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Strauss, Wagner, Mozart.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like the name Brewski its not a common name and since I have no idea where you live or who you are feel free to borrow it lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
maybe over a couple of days see what type of personality he has, and name him accordingly. I grew up next door to a dog named "Lonesome". He was a little lonely guy when they first brought him home. I still think its a cool name.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Here is list compiled by the family in no particular order:

Major, Blitz, Duke, Reno, Teddy, Apollo, Sammy, Monty, Ellis, Crash, Camo, Jackson, Audie, Bogey, Tank, Bear, Chief, Dutch, Hank, and Waylon.

As you can see, they're all over the place. He is going to have a pretty dark face and be over 100 pounds. I think I've put more thought into this name than I did for my children.
I like Blitz, Apollo, and Hank....I like Jackson if his nickname was Jax :)

But, like someone else suggested - I like Ryder a lot.

When I hear Ellis I think of Ellis Island...just me. Still a nice name though.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
From your list I like Jackson, Dutch & Bogey the best. I also like Czar, Pancho, and Nick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts