German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how long it can take or how long it took your dog/puppy to recognize its name? I've had my 10 week old puppy for 2 days and I don't expect her to have name recognition quite yet but she's starting to learn! I also added a couple pictures from today because.. who doesn't love a GSD puppy? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is a fun way to teach your puppy her name:

1. Get a clicker from a pet store.

2. Get a supply of tasty treats, and sit near your dog. Click the clicker; most dogs will look at the source of the sound. Give her one of the treats. Do this about five times at first, then take a break.

3. After three of four sessions over the space of a few days, say your puppy's name, then click the clicker and give her a treat when she looks at you. One set of five to seven repetitions, then take a break.

4. Once she's looking at you eight times out of ten when you say her name, skip the click and treat, and pet her and praise her once in a while (instead of clicking and treating). This is known as a "variable reinforcement schedule," just like a slot machine that only pays off once in a while.

5. Have fun!

·
Registered
906 Posts
She's adorable! Congrats! It didn't take Brody a long time either to learn his name!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Greet her with her name frequently. Call her by name and reward her. Don't use her name when giving commands.
I don't remember how long it took but it wasn't long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts