German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so for the most part the general consensus with Roxy is could be some show ling..could be some working line...most likely a BYB -- am I still supposed to use their name in the AKC registration then?

I am looking at the pedigree papers and don't see where the breeder I got Roxy from used any part of the name from the line before? Would I be able to tell that or not?

The breeder for my dog's name was Conrad ..BUT on the pedigree it says for the moms name -- a Ryan somebody...and the dad's breeder name is a womans name. ...so not sure how that then relates back to this Conrad ?

This is all too confusing for me.

if I NEED to use Conrad in the name I will..but are there different etiquettes for different lines of dogs? If this indeed a BYB -- should I still out of respect use his name?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
IF the breeder had a kennel name and wants it used, then it would be appropriate to do so. It would not be considered correct or ethical to use a kennel name found back in the pedigree unless that kennel is the one that bred Roxy and you have their permission.

If Roxy's breeder doesn't have a kennel name that you were asked to use, you can make up any registered name you want for her. You can even use your own last name if you'd like. What you don't want to do is to take a name from somewhere in her pedigree and use that. Kennel names aren't like last names in people in that they don't get passed from one generation to another.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the breeder said it's not required to use their last name. I can call her whatever I want. Now her moms name is Fran Von Coco -- and she said I would be more than welcome to use any part of that IF I wanted to

but right now I'm learning towards Lisa's Mist of Avalon OR I could do Fran's Mist of Avalon?

the breeder suggested I put her call name in there ..but call name being Roxy -- doesn't really fit ???

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
I would just pick something that you like. As, for the call name, none of my dogs have their call names in their registered names.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You don't really have to use a kennel name, if you don't want to. I named my mutt after the cemetery where she was found, and my GSD after the laundromat where she was found.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
I like Lisa's Mist of Avalon.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to use Coco's something for the mom's side??

now I've also thought about Coco's Esme (kind defender) Damara ( gentle girl)

now my son says "that's an oxy moron" LOL the gentle and defender part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts