German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of applying for my dog's PAL, and I want to be able to give her a really nice "registered" name. We got her from a pretty unfortunate situation (aka, no papers), but she will start competing in AKC Obedience and Rally competitions here in a few months, so I need to get her listed with the AKC.

Her call name is Ellie, but her 'real' name is Elsa, and we would love for that to be included in the name that we put on her paperwork for the AKC. I know it isn't necessary, but it's something that I really want to do for her, just because! I included a picture of her- I know she isn't stacked, and this definitely is not the most flattering photo, but it gives a general idea of her appearance.

So- give me all the name ideas you've got!

Thanks in advance you guys!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Elsa vom Reiner Schnee

Elsa from driven snow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elsa vom Reiner Schnee

Elsa from driven snow.
Ohhh I really like that. All of the ideas I have gotten from people up until now have been Frozen related, lol. I love this. My German sucks too much to come up with this kind of stuff on my own.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Ohhh I really like that. All of the ideas I have gotten from people up until now have been Frozen related, lol. I love this. My German sucks too much to come up with this kind of stuff on my own.
Ha! Glad I could be helpful! First thing that popped into my head and I ran it through google translate, my wife took German not me. Lol

Beautiful girl you've got there and she's got lovely structure. You're both lucky ladies to have found each other :grin2:

PS I've found an alternate translation of engelsrein - pure as the driven snow. In my Spanish studies I've found I needed to check a couple places to make sure the translation was correct including context. Although I imagine that one's taken by now, either way have fun picking it out it's nearly as bad as baby names LOL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ha! Glad I could be helpful! First thing that popped into my head and I ran it through google translate, my wife took German not me. Lol

Beautiful girl you've got there and she's got lovely structure. You're both lucky ladies to have found each other :grin2:

PS I've found an alternate translation of engelsrein - pure as the driven snow. In my Spanish studies I've found I needed to check a couple places to make sure the translation was correct including context. Although I imagine that one's taken by now, either way have fun picking it out it's nearly as bad as baby names LOL
Thank you!! I got pretty lucky that she turned out as wonderful as she has. She's a joy to have :)

Ok so if I were to use "engelsrein" instead, how would you word that as a name? And what would that translate to in the end? Sorry for all of the questions!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Thank you!! I got pretty lucky that she turned out as wonderful as she has. She's a joy to have :)

Ok so if it were to use "engelsrein" instead, how would you word that as a name? Sorry for all of the questions!
Well you're free to name her as you please of course!

But it's my understanding that:

Vom or Von - means from, which is why you will typically see it in GSD pedigrees.

Dog name vom or von kennel name

I'm no expert on which one you pick and why, but there's an extensive thread you can read here.

Other than that, I'm REALLY not the guy to explain GSD naming conventions. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who know's more than I!

·
4,510 Posts
I had never heard of the P.A.L. before. Interesting. With the photo you supplied I'd be tempted to go with Ellie of the Morning Light. Easy for people to read and spell on trial forms, too (important to anyone who has been a trial secretary).

She is beautiful

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had never heard of the P.A.L. before. Interesting. With the photo you supplied I'd be tempted to go with Ellie of the Morning Light. Easy for people to read and spell on trial forms, too (important to anyone who has been a trial secretary).

She is beautiful
Thank you! I hadn't either until we started talking about entering AKC events with her. I like that idea as well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts