German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
When I picked up Noire back in September the "kennel" that had her was calling her Bella (full name is Sanhedrin's Alash La Belle Noire), but since Bella is way too common of a name around here at least I started calling her Noire, even though she's almost 9 years old she picked up quick.. but then i'm not sure how much they used her name or how much attention she got while outside.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
My 10 yr old terrier mix was 1 yr old when we got her from a no kill shelter she had been there since she was a newborn. Her name for a year had been Butterfinger, we thought we liked the name Baby for her and she adjusted to it within no time. Like everyone has said it's just like training a new pup. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
The original name is Stormy and from the way I have heard so far, it doesn't have a good story behind it.

I would like her new name to be Amira or Aria. Maybe something else...any suggestions?

Thank you all again for all the help!
Both names are very pretty, another suggestion what about Aurea. :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Stosh knows his name really well, but he also knows 'the dog', 'him', 'Mr Boy'...I think I could change his name without any problem. Both of the names you mentioned are lovely!
Hondo's newest nick name is "Your Son!". :crazy:

I have always re-names every rescue dog I've brought into my home. In my mind, if the original owner(s) didn't love them enough to keep them forever, then I wanted to make sure that I changed their entire lives, including their names. And sometimes we had no idea what their original name was.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
People do it all the time. It shouldn't be any different than teaching a puppy it's name - say the name and then give her a treat. It won't be long before she's responding to the name in anticipation of a treat, and then you can wait for her to turn her head and look at you before giving her the treat. You can mark it, either verbally ("yes!") or with a clicker when she looks at you when you say her name.

When she's responding reliably and immediately, move to rewarding her on a random basis.
This is what we did :) Works very well and very quickly. I LOVE the name Aria - very pretty :wub:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Had success with renaming a rescue from Buster to Gunner. Tried to get something different but similar sounding. It was our neighbor's dog who was turned into animal control because he couldn't keep him in the yard. Gunner is the best "inside" dog that we have ever had. LOL

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I used to foster as well and a lot of the dogs I got either had really common names (like Max) or no names at all, so I always started fresh with a new name that I thought would fit the dog's personality. The only one whose name I didn't change was my Abby, because it just fit her well and she responded well to it. I did change my Ronja's name.

It's really not terribly hard to change a dog's name. Just start using the new name and praise and reward the dog every time they look at you when you call their name. Simple as that. Most dogs will look at you when you talk to them anyway, and when you reward them for looking, they figure out pretty quickly that that new word you're using is their name. :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts