German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to become an owner of a two year old, girl. I can't wait! Everything about her is fantastic, but there is ONE thing that really gets under my skin. It's something that I will have to look over if I absolutely must and that is her name. Her name is something that her previous owners called her as a bit of a joke and it's just awful. Do you all think it is possible for me to re-train her into calling her a different name? If so, any tips on how to go about it?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've never tried to reteach a dog it's new name, but I'm sure it can be done, just as you would normally teach it to 'recall'. You might decide on a new name that rhymes with or sounds similar to the original name.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I changed a miniature pincher that I adopted. I can't even remember what her original name was. But I renamed her Noel; It took a little bit for her to learn her new name but no different that a new puppy would. Just call her new name make other encouraging noises and pat your leg.

And congratulations on your new girl :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
We took in an english mastiff girl with i'm not kidding you......althazena as her name.we decided then and there after the guy told us and we stopped laughing that we would call her zen.pick out strong sounds of the original name and it makes it easier.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's not so much what you say, as much as how you say it?

I'm not big on re-naming dogs after they get some age on them, but then again, I can see the necessity of doing it on occassion.

My female GP was origionally named "baby girl". I knew that she would soon become a one hundred lb "baby" and it just didn't seem to fit, so I changed her name to "sissy girl" which was more fitting since I also have a brother of hers, and she will always be his sister.

I have some dogs that are never called anything but their name, and I have others that have a whole list of pet names they go by. My black lab knows he has multiple names.

Lastly, on the rare occassion, (and I mean really rare) I get to name a dog, I always wait a little bit, to pick out just the right name, one that fits their personality just a little bit.

·
Super Moderator
32,037 Posts
People do it all the time. It shouldn't be any different than teaching a puppy it's name - say the name and then give her a treat. It won't be long before she's responding to the name in anticipation of a treat, and then you can wait for her to turn her head and look at you before giving her the treat. You can mark it, either verbally ("yes!") or with a clicker when she looks at you when you say her name.

When she's responding reliably and immediately, move to rewarding her on a random basis.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You can absolutely change the dog's name, it is done every day with shelter dogs and strays who's histories are unknown. The tips noted above are excellent suggestions: use the new name frequently, always in a positive light. Reward her every time she looks at you after hearing the new name, and try to have everyone avoid using her old name for anything (if possible).

·
Registered
316 Posts
I used the method Cassidy's Mom (Debbie) described with Ridley - granted he was only 9 months but it was still needed and it worked. Lots of repetition and lots of treats later he knows his new name.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The original name is Stormy and from the way I have heard so far, it doesn't have a good story behind it.

I would like her new name to be Amira or Aria. Maybe something else...any suggestions?

Thank you all again for all the help!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
She should be fine. My dogs each have two names that they respond to, lol! It didn't take them too long to learn them either.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Stormy?! That's the worst the guy could do? :p Sorry, I've come across a lot of dogs with just AWFUL names. We had about 3 D.O.G's who came into the last grooming shop I worked for. My friends brother even had a dog named Stupid.

Chance responds to all kinds of names. Chance, Chaunceh, Stinky, Baby, Sir....He even responds to the name Zoey better than Zoey does. XDD

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
It's very easy to change a dog's name and there is no reason not to. Dogs don't identify with their names the way humans do and will readily respond to whatever you want to call them with just a little work. I renamed a dog I had for years, in that one of his nicknames became his name over time.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You can absolutely change the dog's name, it is done every day with shelter dogs and strays who's histories are unknown. The tips noted above are excellent suggestions: use the new name frequently, always in a positive light. Reward her every time she looks at you after hearing the new name, and try to have everyone avoid using her old name for anything (if possible).
I changed my dog's name doing exactly what you describe. It worked fine and quickly. Say her name, she looks, treat. Repeat.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh knows his name really well, but he also knows 'the dog', 'him', 'Mr Boy'...I think I could change his name without any problem. Both of the names you mentioned are lovely!

·
Registered
664 Posts
My Scout was Rocky when I got him. So I called him Rocky-Scout for a while and then just began to leave off the "Rocky" part. He was fine. Of course, just last night I heard "Rocket Man" on the radio and sort of welled up, thinking of my Scouty boy. lol. Also, all of my dogs have had nicknames which they also answer to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts