German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
One of the things we do to test prospects is take them someplace completely strange then build to a throw with the dog put up but where they have to go through brush/debris to search. It is a great use of Kudzu but any old brushy area will do.

Don't see any problems but not enough of a test to tell much. It is enough to tell she is using her nose, not her eyes to hunt. I don't think the spinning her around does much though in this case because the yard is familiar to her and she has contextual visual cues to orient by.

This is Beau searching for a ball where I fake the throw then drop it so I could actually see him find it. Normally I just throw it way out in the field and he *has* to find it or I lose an $8 ball. But I I like having the dog go out of sight of the handler -- we have had some *not* do that and had to work on it. This is not a test. Just playing with a pup. You can barely see the ball in the grass, he grabs then drops it ready for the next throw. What you can see is him hit the brakes and work into it. And that TAIL. love that tail.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Already done that at my friends place. Thorns, Brush etc. not a single problem. She searched for a good ten minutes, didn't give up at all. It wasn't a test, just a demonstration because I had my camera but completely forgot the chip so I couldn't record it.

Also tested her on a shaky bridge where we jumped up and down. Obstacles, shiny floor, metal grid, pretty much anything you can think off.

You can definitely see her drive though.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Excellent. Ten minutes is a good test.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was amazing to watch, especially since she didn't use her eyes at all. Another interesting thing she does is to actually look up.
She is intense.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
both dogs very nice:D the hunt is something hard to explain to folks that have never seen it. The videos should help some folks:)

Beau's tail is not a tail, it is a flag.......LOLOL
I got it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Nala will be way ahead of Mr Beau. She looks like a really nice dog. Watch YOUR shoulders with this one.

Beau is definitely still all puppy (18 weeks tomorrow). No accidents in the house, tons of ball drive and hunt drive and tug drive and the attention span of a gnat. No signs of any nerve issues. Loves to climb things -- like a little billy goat and loves to get into places too small for him to get into.

Took him to a playground and he is the first pup I have had since Linus in 1985 who delights in going up the ladder and down the slide just for fun. (Linus would take turns with my daughters) Grim is great with the up part and will do the down part if I ask but Beau just seems to have a whole lot of fun with everything he does which is with total abandon.

We just got in the front top 2 incisors and the gums are really big in the back so I guess I need to know the progression of teeth coming in. Today's victory was not having to fight him for my robe.

But yeah that tail. It is a long sucker too. and the giant ears.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nala will be way ahead of Mr Beau. She looks like a really nice dog. Watch YOUR shoulders with this one.
Yeah, she's very very fast and sometimes she acts first and thinks second because her drive is going through with her. It's not mean or anything but you can hear her teeth clap right next to your shoulders or upper arm when she's going for the ball.

While Indra is much much further in training, Nala is ahead of her as well, if that is what you mean. :)

I do like Beau you can tell that he's very methodogical and concentrated. One thing I don't like about older dogs is that you didn't have any control over their training from the puppyhood on, like small crawling spaces etc.
I have not tried that yet but I doubt it'll be any issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts