German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
As a groomer, I do a LOT of toenails and I don't have time to click, treat, click, treat with every single nail.

I sometimes use treats with young puppies, but otherwise, I find it best to get it done as quickly and with as little fanfare as possible. Most dogs will accept their toenails being clipped if the person doing it is confident in what they are doing. The slightest hint of insecurity or fear on the part of the person doing the clipping will give a dog reason to feel insecurity and fear.

Some dogs are very sensitive about having their feet touched, either because their owner never bothered to touch their feet while they were pups, or because they have a particularly sensitive temperament. Sometimes I'll try using treats with those kinds of dogs to wire the toenail trim with something positive, but an anxious dog usually won't take treats, so I simply have to show the dog that it doesn't hurt... it takes time, but eventually the dog will learn to trust me. He may never like having his toenails trimmed, but he'll allow it, because he knows it will get done one way or the other and fighting is of no benefit.

With my own puppies, I start them young and it goes so quickly they don't even have time to wonder what I'm doing. Usually around adolescence they go through a phase where they decide they don't want their toenails clipped, but it gets done anyway. :) No treats, no coddling, just a matter-of-fact attitude on my part and it gets done. By the time they are mature, my dogs don't bat an eyelash at nail trimming.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts