1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you say your father is 65 yrs old "what can you expect" and 'you
knew us folks would appreciate it". there's some people
65yrs old and older on this forum. i like those NSDTR. i like
that brillant fire red color.

Just a story... My pup is 22 weeks old right now (non-GSD!). I've been trimming her nails once a week since we got her at 8 weeks old. About 4 weeks in, she decided against it, and we struggled. Then I started over, with treats. Paw, treat, nail, treat, clip, treat... repeat. Takes awhile, but we are making progress and I can do all 4 paws at once now rather than breaking up over the weekend. Soon we will be able to clip 2 nails and then treat instead of treats for each nail! She is happy while we do this.

My dad: OLD SCHOOL. I was at his house this weekend with Emme, and he was holding her looking at her nails, commenting it was time to trim. Yep I said, but we do it with treats. He was all... NAW, just come clip them while I hold her.

I was skeptical, but, wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and he HAS raised many dogs to be great pets. So I started... she started squirming...he held harder. She squirmed more... was becoming distressed.

I put an end to it, and moved to the floor, with treats. Treat, clip, treat, clip. Sure, it took a little longer, but she was HAPPY the whole time.

My dad scoffed at me... "You give her too many treats" he said, shaking his head.

But WHY would I do it the other way? Struggling, fighting, dog unhappy. When all I need to do is offer some treats? She's just a baby after all!

I didnt pursue the issue with him, as I know he wouldnt relent that my way is better

>>>>> (he's 65... what can I expect! LOL)... But I knew you folks would appreciate it.<<<<<

[/QUOTE]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts