German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I do it your dad's way. My puppies have all been *obsessed* with food. Trying to deliver treats and get a puppy to hold still for trimming...not happening! I don't have anyone to help me do mine so I just do them, starting day 1 (even if they don't need it yet I just pretend). I don't make a big fuss about it, just wait until the dog is pretty tired and do it. I have an 11 week old puppy right now and his have been trimmed twice and will do them again on Friday before he flies out to his new home. So far I've never had a puppy that I couldn't do but again I start at 8 weeks so a little squirming is easy to deal with and by the time they are 12+ weeks they are just used to it. My adult dogs I just tell to sit (or let them lie down) and do them with no fuss. At the end they might get a treat or play with a toy but usually the puppies are just happy to run off and do their own thing.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
However you have to do it is fine as long as it can be done! I am ever so thankful I got Nikon used to it as a puppy (he was a puppy that did NOT like restraint and fought for a long time). A few years back he broke a nail on a rear foot and it got infected. The infection went so deep he nearly needed an amputation. Each day I had to clean the wound, including trimming back the nail and dead tissue which was of course very painful for him, then re-wrap the wound. I did this 2-4 times every day for weeks. Can you imagine what it would have been like if he was a dog that didn't let people touch his feet or nails? Ever since then I've been very deliberate about making sure my puppies and new dogs will accept being handled, restrained, messing with their feet, and trimming nails.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts