German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
For my GSD's paw pads and toes, I use Medicine Mama's Bee Magic All In One Healing Skin Cream. (It is, also, my facial moisturizer!) It's a high grade olive oil, beeswax, honey, propolis, bee pollen and royal jelly....love it, love it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For my GSD's paw pads and toes, I use Medicine Mama's Bee Magic All In One Healing Skin Cream. (It is, also, my facial moisturizer!) It's a high grade olive oil, beeswax, honey, propolis, bee pollen and royal jelly....love it, love it!
I like that iherb is selling this product! Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
32,802 Posts
I love using a dremel for nails, but expect that it may take some desensitization to get your dog used to it. There used to be a great site with suggestions on type of dremel to buy and step by step directions, but unfortunately it's no longer available.

Cassidy was so bad about nail trims that she'd yank her paw away if you even touched it. My husband had to practically sit on her to restrain her while I trimmed, it was always a battle. Because her nails were always too long and the quicks were long too I was paranoid about quicking her, making it even worse. I took me about a week of daily work to get to where I could dremel her nails and I did it by myself. My hubby was amazed, he was very skeptical when I came home with a little cordless dremel that I planned to use. Later he did assist me, but really just to keep her from getting up and wandering off, not to actually restrain her.

Since she didn't like her paws being handled, I started there. I also taught her to lay on her side on cue, and I talked to her calmly and fed her treats while picking up each of her paws, holding them in my hand, and wiggling each toenail. Until she was calm and comfortable with that I didn't even try to go further. Then I did the paw handling with the dremel laying on the floor nearby, turned off. From there, the dremel was on so she could hear the sound, but at a slight distance. I gradually worked up to where I could touch it to a nail, just for a second - happy praise, and a treat. Don't rush the process.

I got around to starting Cava on the dremel much later than I'd planned. She loves to train and gets really excited when I pull out the treat bag so the first challenge was to get her to lay calmly on her side, vs slamming herself enthusiastically down on the floor and rolling over repeatedly, lol. She's a nut. 🥰 And she's also very curious, so then I had to get her to stop sticking her face in the way to see what I was doing, I was afraid I'd dremel her nose! But I can do her nails totally by myself, just like Cassidy. Sometimes I'll end up just doing the front paws and do the rear paws a different day, or vice versa, because she's too amped up to stay still long enough to do them all at the same time. But I can make two good passes over each paw so as long as I do it fairly frequently I can keep the nails from getting too long.

Taking smaller amounts off more often is safer since you have less risk of hitting the quick and it can recede between sessions. With Cassidy I started by doing her nails every couple of days until they got to where I wanted them. With Cava I aim for about once a week, but sometimes it's more like 2 or 3 weeks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I love using a dremel for nails, but expect that it may take some desensitization to get your dog used to it. There used to be a great site with suggestions on type of dremel to buy and step by step directions, but unfortunately it's no longer available.

Cassidy was so bad about nail trims that she'd yank her paw away if you even touched it. My husband had to practically sit on her to restrain her while I trimmed, it was always a battle. Because her nails were always too long and the quicks were long too I was paranoid about quicking her, making it even worse. I took me about a week of daily work to get to where I could dremel her nails and I did it by myself. My hubby was amazed, he was very skeptical when I came home with a little cordless dremel that I planned to use. Later he did assist me, but really just to keep her from getting up and wandering off, not to actually restrain her.

Since she didn't like her paws being handled, I started there. I also taught her to lay on her side on cue, and I talked to her calmly and fed her treats while picking up each of her paws, holding them in my hand, and wiggling each toenail. Until she was calm and comfortable with that I didn't even try to go further. Then I did the paw handling with the dremel laying on the floor nearby, turned off. From there, the dremel was on so she could hear the sound, but at a slight distance. I gradually worked up to where I could touch it to a nail, just for a second - happy praise, and a treat. Don't rush the process.

I got around to starting Cava on the dremel much later than I'd planned. She loves to train and gets really excited when I pull out the treat bag so the first challenge was to get her to lay calmly on her side, vs slamming herself enthusiastically down on the floor and rolling over repeatedly, lol. She's a nut. 🥰 And she's also very curious, so then I had to get her to stop sticking her face in the way to see what I was doing, I was afraid I'd dremel her nose! But I can do her nails totally by myself, just like Cassidy. Sometimes I'll end up just doing the front paws and do the rear paws a different day, or vice versa, because she's too amped up to stay still long enough to do them all at the same time. But I can make two good passes over each paw so as long as I do it fairly frequently I can keep the nails from getting too long.

Taking smaller amounts off more often is safer since you have less risk of hitting the quick and it can recede between sessions. With Cassidy I started by doing her nails every couple of days until they got to where I wanted them. With Cava I aim for about once a week, but sometimes it's more like 2 or 3 weeks.
Thank you so much for sharing the experience of using a dremel. I will put the dremel on the floor first to get her familiar with its sound. Idun would show her belly to me whenever she saw a trimmer in my hand. I did not need to restrain her until the day in this post, and I would like to keep it that way. I will definitely take time to introduce a dremel.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts