German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have 2 gsd that forever have been freaked out with nail trimming time. All my other 5 are absolutely no problem. These two bitches you'd think I was torturing them.
I tried "calming cap" on one that was a joke! more paranoia. One I just stuck her head into the food bin and let her go at feeding like a horse would and that worked somewhat, I couldn't pick up her foot but just trimmed as she stood, not as short as I wanted too but better.
Anyone try the dremmel type tool? may work for one who is not sound sensitive.
If my husband helps them down and trims them then they steer clear of him for a couple days time. Theses two are great dogs besides this stupid nail thing. The others are a breeze to do.
Any ideas? Has any one used the Bach Rescue Remedy to calm before procedures like this?
By the way I have the heavy duty clippers they use at the vets office -cost $30 so they are good clippers.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I think a lot of people on here use dremels and love them. I'm one of that group. The dremel works for us on dogs I would NEVER have thought would tolerate it. Cutting nails on our Sheltie/BC mix was a nightmare but now - in spite of the fact that she hates storms and is very sound sensitive - she lies on her back and enjoys a tummy rub from dad while I do her nails. Whole different dog. I also love the fact that with the dremel I can get their nails much shorter, quick them less, and have fewer scratches to me and to the floor.

This is a great link on how to do it:
Dremel with DoberDawn

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
The struggle for nail-clipping was so bad, I had to actually MUZZLE my normally sweet Grimm! One day, I waited until he was sleepy-comfy, and was laying on his SIDE. Then, I very g-e-n-t-l-y flipped his paw over, withOUT grabbing it in my hand. NO grabbing the paw at all-- maybe gentle holding his wrist a bit. With his foot turned upside-down, I clipped all nails on front feet in less than 5 mins!! With some dogs, the jerk-away reflex is just too strong. It is involuntary, and in some dogs-- it is intense. (imagine someone tickling the bottom of your foot) Trim the nails like shoeing a horse.. feet turned over upside down.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
it can be a frustrating proceedure for sure with some dogs. i think the key is for the person to stay calm, its very easy to get inpatient when doing nails on an un-cooperative victim, lol!

i agree with Patti i think gentle handling is one good approach. i usually will talk softly to my dogs, telling them what a good dog they are. my male tends to not like his nails down, he will pull his paw away and tuck it underneath so i can't get at them. i gently take his paw back and repeat the process. after about two or three times, he will finally look away and let me trim them. its like a kid that is scared of needle shots! by talking softly to them it certainly is more calming than if you were to force it on them, which in turn would make it a negative thing.

another thing i have done, is have my husband hold a bully stick, or something that lasts and let him chew one end of it while i do the nails.

debbie

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
We use the dremmel also. Our dog is not crazy about it but I try to offer a goody-filled kong while holding her. Hubby does the dirty work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts