German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5month old gsd hates getting his nails trimmed (I use the drum). He screams bloody mercy whenever he's getting trimmed. It is a 2ppl job, I can't do it by myself. Tried treats, the sticky on the floor w/pb, nothing works. Bathing is the same, this last time I tried tethering him on the bathtub he calmed down a bit but he goes at it again and let's not talk about the blow dryer. So far I've got the brushing during meals, but once he's done so goes for the brush like is playtime. I live by myself and looking for suggestions on how to do this by myself.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I start training from scratch with the nails. How long are you keeping the spinning drum on the nails? I count to 4, then go onto the next nail. With bathing, take him outside and play with him with the garden hose. I'd give the blow dryer a miss. Alternatively, hire a professional groomer to do the job.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Lots of personal preferences here:

1) Bathing. It’s not a necessity, if thorough brushing is done often, unless a nasty accident happened. I call a mobile groomer friend of mine, if I feel the need for bathing. You might consider the same. GSD’s are beautiful, yet rugged animals. I don’t want mine smelling like roses and lavender. Again, a preference.

2) Nails. Have to start young. You’re not too far out at 5 months. Have you tried a clipper versus the dremel? Sometimes, there’s no easy way through it. Your pup has to learn that this is not an option. My latest female, Raina, whined and struggled like heck the first three attempts. She’s 7 months, now and will literally stand still for me, while she gets clipped. Again, with four GSD’s, I clip 72 nails every two weeks.

Of course, they all get treats AFTER nails are clipped - not before or during. It’s not a game to me. I’m not asking them or “treating” them into it.

3) Brushing. As OFTEN as possible with a good undercoat rake and a top brush. It becomes great bonding time. She should learn to love the attention fairly quickly.

Best of luck to you and your pup going forward with this!

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
I have better luck using the dremel when I have my dog lie on it’s side on the couch.

·
Registered
238 Posts
For clipping his nails you need to get him comfortable with having his feet touched. Every day you should touch his feet softly until he starts to seem uncomfortable, he will eventually get better about it, my puppy Mia doesn’t care how much I mess with her feet, she’s 7 months old.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How often are you bathing? These aren't shitzhus, they don't need much bathing at all and it can actually hurt their coat especially if you're using human shampoo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts