German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to get some better pics at work, but for now our model will be Boo, my mom's lab mix. She has long nails with long quicks.

Before, please excuse the dirt:

After, notice the black dot in the middle:

The most important part of the nail trimming process:

I only took the tips off of her nails, I need to figure out if macs have a drawing-on-pictures program and I'll draw on the 'before' pictures to show exactly where I cut.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Sidebar - I had a vet tech last week tell me that finding the quick was a guessing game. I should have stopped her before she made my puppy bleed. And not stop bleeding - all over my car's leather interior.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Jenn, did they not have some sort of powder to stop the bleeding?
I'd just take off the tips if I were using the squeeze kind of clippers. (I use a dremel now and love it)

As for drawing, you can download a program called "GIMP" for free.
It does all sorts of neat things and I'm 90% sure they have a download for Macs. Google "GIMP download for Mac" and you should get something. It's free and safe.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chance's MomJenn, did they not have some sort of powder to stop the bleeding?
I'd just take off the tips if I were using the squeeze kind of clippers. (I use a dremel now and love it)
yeah she used it but I guess not enough. Last time I let anyone but the groomer or the vets wife do it. Morgan's good about it but I have a feeling Otto won't tolerate THAT again.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaSidebar - I had a vet tech last week tell me that finding the quick was a guessing game. I should have stopped her before she made my puppy bleed. And not stop bleeding - all over my car's leather interior.
In a way, it is, but with experience you learn to tell where to clip. I still make mistakes ever so often, but rarely compared to when I was new to grooming. I've had people ask specifically for me to do the nails because I'm fast and calm about it, the kids that do the daycare work fiddle and guess nervously which makes the dog jerk around which makes them more nervous, and so on and so forth!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts