German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a conairpro dog nail grinder. My old grinder (which died) only had sand paper but my new one has 2 grinding stones (15mm and 8mm) and sand paper. What do I use all these tools for? It does not explain in the instructions. Plus the unit has a "protective cover that can be adjusted to fit different nail sizes" but it doesn't explain how to use that either. The instructions show an uncovered grinder being used on a dogs nails.

If you have this specific grinder or just general advice I would appreciate the info.

Thank you.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Try them out and see what you/your dog likes best. I don't use a cover with mine, I find it tend to get in the way. I've never used a grinding stone. I use to use the paper bands, but upgraded to a diamond grinding wheel that I can use on wet or dry nails. Paper won't hold up with wet nails. When grinding nails it is best to wear a dust mask so you are not breathing in the fine particles of nail and who knows what else, eye protection also isn't a bad idea either since bits of nail or grit can fly off while grinding.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I don't have specific instructions on how to use that dremel grinder. I have used two. I am liking my normal dremel that plugs in. The battery operated one was weak. This new one has a "pen" like attachment so I don't have to heft the whole unit just the pen. I find that the sandpaper rings work sooooooo much faster than the stones. Paper holds up pretty well for me. I can be done on a 65 lb dog in 2-3 minutes.

I try to do it outside, wear reading glasses, but forgo the mask now. Although I think a mask is a good idea. Lots of treats for my food driven dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts