German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone clip their dog's nails themselves? I feel stupid for paying someone else to do it for me but I am too scared to even try. I don't have anyone to teach me how to do it. I've been taking our pup to a groomer down the street from us. I've only ever seen tiny fluffy dogs there getting their nails painted and bows put in (LOL). It was funny for everyone while Fritzie was smaller but now that she's getting so big... I don't know.

Should I keep taking her to a groomer or try to get over my fear of hurting her?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm right there with you! I hate paying people to do it, but I'm afraid to do it myself. I would be willing to give it a try if I had someone experienced there to coach me.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
At our shot visit, i asked our vet to show me how =) she clipped 1 nail (black) showed me how far to go if I am brave and how long they can be if I am too scared to cut it short. And she told me what clippers to use for GSD. I am glad I asked, but have not tried cutting yet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am not comfortable clipping my dogs nails either. I know allot of people do it and can do a fine job of it, but I just dont feel confident doing it so I dont. I take her to my vet, they told me not to even call just come in and one of the techs does it. She is very good and just lays and lets them but I am afraid I will cut them to short so I just let them do it. I think its fine if you dont want to do it, dont. Have someone who is comfortable doing it do it for you.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
At our shot visit, i asked our vet to show me how =) she clipped 1 nail (black) showed me how far to go if I am brave and how long they can be if I am too scared to cut it short. And she told me what clippers to use for GSD. I am glad I asked, but have not tried cutting yet.
What clippers did she recommend?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
My first GSD "Heidi" hated her nails clipped until I started getting her used to the Dremel. It is so much easier and no stress if you can get them used to the noise and the vibration. I started Nikki with lots of praise and treats as a puppy and now she just lays down when she sees me pick up the Dremel.

Heidi was older when I started grinding her nails but she did fine and it didn't take long for her to accept it. Here is a good site showing how:

How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com

Michaela

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have a hard time as well. I got them professionally done for a long time.. then when I went from 1 dog to 3... I just didn't have a choice. My dogs don't spend a lot of time on the hot cement, so their nails just don't file naturally. I did a couple myself, then I ended up cutting too short when Duke spazzed out, it wasn't pretty. So I sold my clippers and started having my trainer help me with them.

Eventually I started working with dremel tools, it was so much easier and I was able to see the quick much much faster and clearer. Now I'm comfortable with doing it myself.

I would try a little dremel tool with a nail cap to help you gain confidence. Petsmart has an Oster one that actually worked pretty well when I was just doing 1-2 dogs. Once you get really comfortable with it, you can buy the more expensive ones that are a bit more powerful. Dremels just shave the nail down, it doesn't hurt, but it will take some desensitizing and training with the dog so they accept it. Once they are used to it, it's quick and not stressful at all for owner or dog.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Being brave enough to do it, and actually having a willing partner to do it are very different things! I've cut Pimg's nails all her life and recently have successfully switched over to dremeling her nails (so happy!!!!). It was a process with her- a long history of counter conditioning and shaping. I've always been able to cut her nails with relatively low fuss- but now it's gotten fairly easy.

Jinks on the other hand- I still can't get to let me come anywhere close with clippers. And forget about the dremel. No matter how much counter conditioning I do- he wants nothing of having his nails clipped. Even the vet was not able to do his fronts... They are like crazy sharp eagle talons right now. :(

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
How often do you need to use the dremel?
I'd certainly think it depends on both the dog, and how short you want to keep them. Pimg's nails don't seem to grow nearly as fast as Jinks (this is probably logical as he's a growing puppy). If I were really smart, I'd dremel her nails weekly. I probably dremel them bimonthly or longer though.

Like my mom tells me of cleaning my house- if I'd just do a little bit each day, I'd always have a clean house with minimal work. But I put it off <for an undisclosed period of time (hey! I'm a bachelor!)> and then it becomes a real pain!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just did it the first time!! Well, I held Max, my daughter shoved toys in his mouth and my husband cut his nails- I bought the nail clippers with shield to make sure they aren't cut too short and it worked! :) it was comical.
But now his nails are super sharp!!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Well, I held Max, my daughter shoved toys in his mouth and my husband cut his nails
I do think it would REALLY help to have a couple people! I am to the point with Jinks that I think I could distract him well enough for someone else to sneak in and cut them...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I do think it would REALLY help to have a couple people! I am to the point with Jinks that I think I could distract him well enough for someone else to sneak in and cut them...
Make sure he is super hungry, get his favorite food and smear it on the floor or your arm (seriously, I smeared peanut butter on my arm), then dremel!

·
Registered
75 Posts
i use a grinder type dremel too. my older dogs was not trained to it but is agreeable for a few quick touches. then i have to clip. my GSD pup has been totally trained to the grinder and will just lay on the porch and enjoy a few quick treats.

somone asks how often. i do my pup every few days as i do not hold the grinder the nail more than 1-2 seconds. i usually do it after a good play time outside. she is tired and wanting a rest by then.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Make sure he is super hungry, get his favorite food and smear it on the floor or your arm (seriously, I smeared peanut butter on my arm), then dremel!
I just don't think flooding is the answer to this problem, for me. Even the vets tried this. PB everywhere! Only a few nails cut, and a freaked out puppy... There is not a reinforcement high enough that I've discovered that would distract him well enough. I'm not going to using flooding for his nails. I still believe I can shape and/or counter condition nail cutting. I'm just frustrated with my lack or progress in this area; I feel like a worthless trainer. Doesn't mean I'm giving up!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Next time your in maybe ask the groomer to show you how? I clip my dogs nails. But I started when he was a baby and slowly got him accustomed. Take it slow. Do one nail at a time if you have to. Also, a dremmel is a great investment and is less likely to cut open the quick.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
My first GSD "Heidi" hated her nails clipped until I started getting her used to the Dremel. It is so much easier and no stress if you can get them used to the noise and the vibration. I started Nikki with lots of praise and treats as a puppy and now she just lays down when she sees me pick up the Dremel.

How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com
Same for us! I clipped Penny too short once and she bled and bled. Dremel after that and never any more problems. I never liked how rough the clippers left the nail anyways, much better filed smooth.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
...and she bled and bled...
Quick tip (get it?)

Corn starch works the same as styptic powder- and you're more likely to have some on hand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts