German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, maybe nail-trimming terror

Luc has a bit of a thing about his feet. This has improved over the past 2.5 years I've had him, and I've heard could in part be due to him being a shelter dog for so many years (less exposure, quicker nail trims more likely to result in quik cuts). No idea if the shelter explanation is true or not.

Anyways, he goes in tomorrow to get his nails trimmed. I don't like to do it myself b/c his nails are black and I can't tell where the quik is, plus when I first got him this was a big issue of his.

Now - I can handle all his feet no problem, trim his dew claws.

Is there anything else I can do to acclimatize him further so that nail trims aren't so stressful for him? Thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I clip a nail-give a peice of ham, clip another more ham, so on and so forth,
both my beast babies hate the whole ordeal so ham makes it all possible helps with teeth brushing too!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I know you are afraid of cutting the quick, but even if you just trimmed a small amount, I'm talking 2-3 mm off his nails every week, it wouldn't be such a huge thing, something that happens all the time. The other 6 days out of the week, bring out the trimmers and just touch the nails and treat/praise him. That way even if he isn't a huge fan of nail trimmings, most of the time they don't mean bad things, they mean treats (good treats too, we use Duck jerky.) Plus if you are trimming every week or every other week, most likely you won't need to even take him in. Or if you do one paw one week, and go around and trim one paw each Saturday or so.

And if you still want the to be trimmed at the vets or the groomers, ask them to use the same trimmer (style, color, size) and ask them to use treats too. You want it as undramatic as possible for him.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I give big, hard to chew pieces of raw meat and clip at the same time.

They can't worry about the nail being trimmed if they are enjoying a yummy snack.

The harder to chew pieces of meat give me more time to cut the nail.

He doesn't really care about nail trims and I want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Not sure I was clear - I don't want to trim his nails at home myself. I'm wondering how I can make him calmer when I take him to the vet's to get his nail trimmed, if there is anything else other than what I've been doing that will improve his nail trimming experience there.

Basically, what can I do to train for the vet's being a fun nail trimming experience?

Perhaps doing the few mm at a time at home will help best. Not sure what else I could do.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Dremel!!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Any time I take sarge in the car it ends up at Mc Donalds for a cheese burger. I get him the double cheese burger plain. When we go to the groomer to get his nails clipped he does very well. When they get done they offer him a treat. He takes it and then spits it out and looks at me like...OK... lets get a burger!!!! lol

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangDremel!!
Amen. Vet tech caught her one time. Lots of blood and she will leave the room if she sees clippers. I get out the treats and the dremel and she lays on her side and is reasonably tolerant. Found that idea here about 5 years ago and it has worked ever since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts