German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday evening, my grandma was playing with Faelan with a stick outside (I was over at a friends house at the time) when all of a sudden he yipped real loud, and didn't want to play anymore.

Later that night, he was uncharacteristically lethargic and when my grandma went to touch the front of his body, he gave a low warning growl (the first we've heard EVER) complete with ears laid back and tail tucked between his legs. Being the worrier that I am, I took him down to the not-so-local emergency after-hours vet.

They couldn't find anything wrong; no bee stings, lacerations, inflammation or anything of the like, and normal vitals. So I elected to just have them administer a pain-killer injection and some take-home pills, and wait and see what happens.

It's my first puppy health scare: Did I do the right thing? And can dogs get really bad pulled muscles/twisted "ankles" or something? He's doing fine now, back to normal.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is your pup? To me it sounds like it might be pano... Here you might want to look at...
He's 1 year 10 months old and I'll probably have his X-rays done in the Fall.

There was no lameness or limping with his symptoms last night. The ER vet did a pretty thorough physical of him that night; would it still be worth taking him to the local vet?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always believe or you are in any sort of doubt when it comes to health problems and pets it is best to see your vet. It's great you got him checked out right away and that you already plan on getting x-rays. The benefit I see of going to your regular vet is that they have a his medical history on hand to review during the visit. As silly as it might sound the fact that your vet has a history of Faelan's weight on file can helpful. Basically pano is described as similar to "growing pains" and have different levels of severity depending on the dog. It happens more commonly in males and is pretty common in GSD's with rapid growth. Pano can show up later in some dogs, it is not unheard of to have a 2 year old show signs. The good news if it is pano cause the problem is that eventually it goes away on it's own as it is a "self-limiting" issue. So to answer your question about if it's worth going to your local vet I would say absolutely. Two heads are always better than one when it comes to your pups health.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts