German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has tried this product or something of this sort.... found this site after trying to decide on possibly Nzymes or something else... there is a yeast kit with a few products... Myco-zyme, Probiotic, Notatum and Omega oils... my dog Niko has had some of the ingredients prescribed by one of the holistic vet's I saw.

I'm so skeptical of many things... since I think I've tried almost everything. Niko has allergies and is doing ok... still lots of itching and redness on his belly, butt and groin area. I may give it a try. The kit is like $98 or something.

Opinions greatly appreciated... thank you!!

Yeast Infections in Dogs Canine Candida--Dog Odor, Ear Infections

Tanja

·
Registered
3,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Vat and LisaT. I did try Nzymes probably about 4 years ago and Niko got terribly worse... to the point that I could no longer continue. I took him to my vet and he looked at me crossed eyed... as if to say... how could you let him get in this condition. I know with Nyzmes they say they get worse before they get better.... but I couldn't continue on with him in that shape. He was on Nzymes for about 2 months. I even took pictures of him during that time... they are awful. :( I never really knew if the Nzymes were working.

That's good to know LisaT... I thought the products looked pretty good too. I may just try it and will post back if I have any success.

Thank you
Tanja

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He was on ketoconozole last Spring/Summer (per the derm) and also on Cephalexin during the same time period.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes... I do think the Keto worked... although he was on Cephalexin too. The derm I saw at Tufts said he was loaded with yeast... ears, paws butt/tail area... groin. That was the first time he tested positive (skin scraping) for yeast. We tried Atopica right after that per the derm's instructions... Niko did not do well with Atopica.

He actually looks pretty decent in the face area.. no hair missing around his eyes etc. It's his butt area, groin, paws. We started back on a total raw diet in Sept... so I'm thinking this might have helped... just took a few months. I was thinking yeast because the inside of his ears were bad... they are better now. He also smells at times when I don't give him a bath every week or two. Using a Keto type shampoo - Mal-a-ket. Niko has had the same symptoms for years... blackened skin... itchy etc... makes me think he has yeast issues. He also is a chronic butt licker which drives me crazy... nothing has ever helped that. I've had his glands checked, no signs of perianal fistulas... maybe he is just itchy there. I think yeast can live and come out in the butt area?

I'm leaning towards the Mycozyme kit.

Thank you
Tanja

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Max got yeast on his belly after antibiotics for a UTI. I used this product called Para-yeast PHDPRODUCTS.COM and gave him 3 Apis tabs a couple of times a day for the itching. Boiron USA - Products - Apis Mellifica
I was able to get the Apis from a local store but had to order the other

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Valerie.... Para-Yeast looks like a good product. I may end up trying that one. I have never heard of it... although I knew I would learn something here again!! :)

Thank you!!
Tanja

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
YThe derm I saw at Tufts said he was loaded with yeast... ears, paws butt/tail area... groin. That was the first time he tested positive (skin scraping) for yeast. We tried Atopica right after that per the derm's instructions... Niko did not do well with Atopica.
Okay, just making sure that there really is yeast. If I recall, you have had a full thyroid panel run?

If there is a history of tick disease (?), sometimes that can induce autoimmune type skin diseases, best treated with the doxy/niacinamide protocol.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I've been using the Mane N Tail antimicrobial spray for Zoe's body and Zymox ear solution for her ears since this winter seems to have brought on severe itching and yeasty ears. It was recommended by Carmspack here and is GREAT stuff....I can't thank her enough,lol You can order it off of Amazon, it's natural, odorless, doesn't stain, and is doing the trick for her itchies and ears:)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think it's yeast... I'm not going for another scraping since I don't think they are always accurate. My vet and the previous derm never came up with yeast and the symptoms were the same, smell, blackened skin, itchy. I do have the Zymox ear drops, but have found the blue ear wash works well too. I just wipe his ears every day or two with the blue ear wash and a cotton ball. Niko hates when you do anything to his ears... he flails like a donkey with his two front paws. LOL I swear I had to check my front tooth since I thought he chipped it on one of the ear days! LOL

I have every kind of spray too... although not Mane and Tail. LOL When they don't work... I donate to my friends in rescue. So, nothing goes to waste! :)

I'm really leaning towards a yeast product... they are not overly expensive and I guess it's worth a try. The only product I've been giving right now with his raw diet is Immuno DMG by Vetri. Hopefully that's not causing issues... only been giving it for a week. Nothing really works in a week anyway. :)

Thank you everyone for your recommendations and suggestions... it does help!

Tanja

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Here is one for you. My breeder has been breeding GSD for over 30 yrs. She told me once that when a dog gets yeast in the ears she buys the woman's douche for yeast and flushes their ears out a couple of times and walla!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Here is one for you. My breeder has been breeding GSD for over 30 yrs. She told me once that when a dog gets yeast in the ears she buys the woman's douche for yeast and flushes their ears out a couple of times and walla!
I use a woman's yeast product (creme) in Max's ears. It's one of the few products that doesn't irritate him.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that's interesting. LOL I bet it does work. Forgot to answer LisaT.... yes, Niko had a full bloodwork including the thyroid panel. I sent this one out to Dr. Dodds... since the previous ones were done by Idex. I hadn't run a thyroid panel for a few years. All was in the normal ranges... per Dr. Dodds... although Free T4 could be higher.

She didn't seem concerned with that at all. This test was run last August.

Now to decide on which yeast product to try... any suggestions. Parayeast or the Mycozyme.

I've tried them all.. so I guess I should just flip a coin! LOL

Tanja

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks LisaT... I will. I'm always worried about Niko... with all his allergies etc. My other boy is healthy (knock on wood) and it's seems odd to me to have a healthy dog. I've gotten so use to checking ingredients and everything else... I don't do this for Whiskey as much.

It's nice to have a dog that you don't have to worry about so much!

Tanja

1 - 19 of 19 Posts