German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 8 week old kitten from my sister inlaw everything is going great apart from my dog ice wont take his eyes off the kitten its like not matter what me or my wife say we he ignores us and wont pay attention to anyrhing other then the kitten i know he wants to chase the kitten and when kitten is in a other room he will listen to us is there anyway can get him to stop this behaviour? I thought id ask incase someone else has a had a problem like this sorry about my bad spelling

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
It could be he's merely curious, but keeping them apart won't get you to the point where they can be together. Get a crate to put the kitten in to keep it safe and allow your dog to sniff it through the crate. It will help demystify the new addition to the family and reinforce in the dog's mind that the kitten belongs to the family.

You are right to be concerned about your dog's fixation on the kitten. Put a leash on him (yes, inside the house) and correct him when he fixates. The leash will give you control and enable you to redirect him. Have a treat to reward him when he breaks his stare. You want him to know you are in charge and he has to listen to you!

Good luck!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I agree with leashing the dog to you when you're home and would consider crating it when you're not. Also, teach your dog the 'Leave it' command, starting with treats on the floor with the dog leashed beside you, and then gradually (once he's got it) transfer the command to the kitten. Lots of good ideas about how to do this on the forum, so search around. I've always had cats and dogs living together successfully; some pairs became best buds and were deeply bonded. But that didn't happen overnight and I never relaxed my guard until I was absolutely certain that they were safe together.

Teaching dogs to 'Leave it" when it comes to cats, especially kittens, is probably the only time that I border on harsh. The size differential alone is reason enough. At the beginning, I correct for each and every instance that a dog/puppy even hints that it wants to watch a cat. Don't be fooled by the staring; it ain't always benign and can lead to a quick lunge/snap before you know it. So stop the sequence before it starts.

Worst case scenario is that they may never get along and you will have to block off areas/rooms that are Cats Only. Yes, it's a pain, but many folks have done it successfully.

Good luck,

Aly

ETA: Beautiful dog!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd agree - leash and correct/redirect. Also recommend the baby gate thing or some kind of "safe space" for the kitten.

Katsu didn't know anything about cats when we first got her. She came in the house, saw the cats - hackles went up and she started barking. Cats were unfazed and just watched her display. I kept her on a leash to keep her from chasing and had baby gates up to allow the cats to have their own rooms. That was 6 months ago. Now she will go up to a cat, tail wagging and try to lick their face (they aren't too appreciative of it :grin2:) There are occasional swats from my female cat, but she's just grouchy. The cats came first - they don't really like dogs so much as they will tolerate them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts