German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My girl is 20 months old now. I just started grad school and we moved into an apartment. For the first few weeks of school, my parents kept her, and then she came to join me here. I am the downstairs unit in a dog friendly, breed/weight restriction free complex. There are dogs EVERYWHERE. And then, then there's my upstairs neighbor.

About two weeks ago, she passed me on the sidewalk, when I was coming back from running the dog, and she said, "oh, I didn't know you had a dog." then a minute went by and she came back and said, "actually, you know what, i need you to do me a favor. She whines when you leave, and I like to take naps, and she wakes me up from my naps. I need you to get her to stop." I apologized, genuinely felt bad, and set my old iphone up the next day to record the dog all day while i was gone at class. Played it back, and she cried for 15 minutes (mostly whining, a little howling), then was quiet the rest of the day. She's not trustworthy yet to be left loose in the apartment, and I speculate she would still whine even if loose.

Every morning, I take her on a run. Anywhere from 2-5 miles depending on the day. I then feed her in her crate as I'm walking out the door. Then I cover her crate with blankets, shut all the blinds, turn the air conditioner on, fill her crate with her toys, and leave. When I do laundry, and she's just hanging out on the patio, I've put her remote trainer on her, and hide outside the fence or down the walk way and listen. If I hear ANYTHING, I correct it. Haven't heard much whining at all.

So I thought everything was good. Then yesterday, the neighbor comes and bangs on my door. "You left at 7:30 this morning, and she cried and woke me up. I missed an hour of sleep because of her. I sleep on my sofa. No noise comes from my unit because I have carpeting (FALSE, I can hear every time she showers at midnight, drags her patio door opened and closed for a smoke break, etc), but you have hard flooring. I would hate to tell the office about this. And if the other neighbors heard, they might not be as nice as me, they would probably just go to the office."

I'm now in a bind. I guess the next step is to buy her a bark collar, but does anyone know of one that works for whining? She's not barking, just whining. I'm in grad school so have virtually no income, and shelling out $90 for something is a lot. Does anyone have any other advice?

I looked up the noise ordinance for our city, and quiet hours are 10pm to 7am. Nuisance dogs have to be reported by two or more households.

Additionally, my girl is registered as a service dog with the office, as I have anxiety, which the dog DOES help with (until now, when it's all just adding to my stress load which is ALREADY HIGH).

The other thing is, this neighbor doesn't appear to work or leave home all day. Where a whining dog might not bother my neighbor who's gone at the office, it does interrupt her taking her naps upstairs in between cigarette breaks. She has lived in this unit for over 10 years. Now I leave for school each day with this sense of dread, wondering if I'm going to come home to a notice, and I'm so worried right now I didn't even go home for lunch because I'm afraid I'll rile my dog up and instigate more whining.

Any advice?

·
Registered
16,033 Posts
Explain to the neighbor that you have monitored your dog and, yes, she is upset for about 15 minutes when you leave. Explain what you are doing to minimize the problem. But do tell her that while you do not hear foot steps and appreciate her sound deadening efforts, you can hear when she opens her door and that the plumbing isn't insulated very well, so you can hear her shower.

What to do to help: Leave the TV or radio on. Find out what location is most bothersome to the neighbor and move the dog's crate to a different part of the apartment. Then maybe - Offer the neighbor a white noise machine (they're cheap and very effective). Ask her what else you may do to help. (you don't have to do any of it but it would show a good faith try) BTW a white noise machine may help your dog if you use one in your unit, too.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'd check with your next door neighbours first to check if your dog is annoying them. How friendly and reasonable are the office staff, and do they know your girl is a registered service dog? I'd contact the office with the problem you are having with the bullying and unreasonable neighbour. I wouldn't be surprised if she has a history of unreasonable complaints about other residents.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Is this dog truly a service dog? Task trained? Sounds more like an emotional support animal, but are you disabled? If not the dog is neither. If it is a service dog why is it not with you when you leave?

If you are mistaken then please don't drag those terms into it especially with a dispute over noise being involved.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd check with your next door neighbours first to check if your dog is annoying them. How friendly and reasonable are the office staff, and do they know your girl is a registered service dog? I'd contact the office with the problem you are having with the bullying and unreasonable neighbour. I wouldn't be surprised if she has a history of unreasonable complaints about other residents.

Agreed! Sounds like your neighbour is just being a little unreasonable and you’ve done a lot to first assess the situation and then help it. It’s on her now. I’d call her out on her behaviour and talk to the office. Sounds like you’ve been more than accommodating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Maybe there is a puzzle treat or other safe chew or toy you could leave to help her the first few minutes after you leave.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Maybe there is a puzzle treat or other safe chew or toy you could leave to help her the first few minutes after you leave.
This is what I was thinking too.

Also, white noise, as was mentioned, worked well for my puppy at the start of crate training at 8 weeks. She used to wine at nights. YouTube has great sleep/relax music for dogs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem. My dog jasper is 14 months and extremely connected to me. We hike in the afternoons usually and he’s pretty tired when we get back. At night he sleeps next to my bed no crate, i leave for work around 630am and come home around 4pm. He’s in his crate while I’m gone with blankets, a toy or two. I had a problem with my neighbor because jasper Howell’s and yelps alllllll....dayyyy.....longgggg....I really cant blame my neighbor. I put my nest cam on and set it to alert me for noise over a certain level. My phone went crazy all day long. He is extremely loud, I’ve tried music, tv, dog melatonin to try and calm him while I’m gone and nothing works....Jasper is probably becoming the best dog I’ve ever had. We are extremely attached to one another and he wants to be with me everywhere I go. I’m thinking a barking collar is the way to go at this point? Someone please HELP!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts