German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear's tail has always been really long. If I measured correctly it was 22 inches long.
Does anyone else have a GSD with a really long tail?

Bear's Tail.jpg Bear's Tail 2.jpg

Sorry, the pictures are small and bad quality

·
Registered
754 Posts
Gus's tail drags the ground when he's standing. He's got a very long tail. Lol. And last time I measured him I think he was 27" tall. I thought it was just normal?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gus and Bear are about the same height! Most of the GSD's I've ever seen have not had a tail as long as Bear's.
I know it's not unusual, but was curious how many others have GSD's with really long tails :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo's tail is very long and he is a long haired GSD. So that means he's either clearing off my coffee table, or he's dragging in all of the fallen leaves from outside.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hondo's tail is very long and he is a long haired GSD. So that means he's either clearing off my coffee table, or he's dragging in all of the fallen leaves from outside.
Is this a long coat thing? Do long coats typically have really long tails? My last GSD was a stock coat and her tail was nowhere near as long as Bear's.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Is this a long coat thing? Do long coats typically have really long tails? My last GSD was a stock coat and her tail was nowhere near as long as Bear's.
I dunno. I just think because Hondo's hair is longer it makes his tail look even longer than it might truly be. When at rest, it does touch the ground. When excited and he curls it up, it looks like a fan. Maybe he's got peacock in him somewhere.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Bears long lost twin, Berlin, also has a long tail. Go figure :cool:

They look like fluffy wolf tails.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark has a pretty long tail.. I love how bushy it is. :)

And his little itty bitty baby tail... *squeals* ;)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Stark has a pretty long tail.. I love how bushy it is. :)

And his little itty bitty baby tail... *squeals* ;)

:wub: omg! The first picture, he is so manly! What a handsome dog Stark is! I love the last one too! I love the itty bitty baby tails :wub:

And he does have a long, bushy tail as well!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Thanks.. He is a pretty neat dog. Big man head and all... LOL.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
where are you starting your measurements? i did it from the bottom
of the croup (the last part of the back) and i got 20".

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where are you starting your measurements? i did it from the bottom
of the croup (the last part of the back) and i got 20".
I measured from the bottom of the croup as well. I actually measured again got a longer measurement (23"). I measured all the way the end, including the hair.
I'll have to measure just to the bone and see where it ends up.

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
I absolutely love this forum and our fascination with every detail about our GSDs :wub:

Funny this thread should pop up, as I just finished brushing Hans's beautiful tail and was thinking how good it is to be able to brush all that handsomeness on a daily basis! When he was little he would have none of it.

I just measured. 21 inches.
Does anyone know if it will grow more, or is this what it will be?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

Here is berlins tail, Bear. I will try n measure it today because now I'm curious! I get comments on how long it is all the time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Berlin's tail looks just like Bear's :D

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine is 27.5 inches tall and her tail(yes I just measured) is 20 inches.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts