German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
@mmags first of all thank you for the review! I am too one of the people who feed kibble, so I do a lot of research on it. I created a similar post some time ago, also based on experience AND budget. A lot of new owners come to this forum and ask 'What's the best food for pup? For adult? For senior? In general?' and I know that posts like this will tremendously help! So thank you again.

I've just literally started to change from TOTW to Victor Nutra Pro last night, becausr my boy lost 7lb while staying with a sitter for 20 days, so my vet opted a high protein food for now. TOTW so far has been my absolute favourite, but we'll see how my boy does on Victor.
@Katsugsd You feed Victor nutra pro too? Is it normal that the food is so dark it's almost black?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
That makes sense. I hadn't heard of those Canadian brands before. I will check them out. It seems like quality control in Canada is less of a problem than in the US. I think some American manufacturers try and produce for too many different dog food brands and quality is lost.
What's really odd is that we don't have the same laws concerning quality control in Canada and yet even when the big brands have recalls it seems to not affect the Canadian plants. I thought at first it was because we lack the legal protection but the Canadian plants seem to have stricter quality control in spite of that lack.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Aren’t some of those grain free? I would evaluate grain free separately from food with grain because they fit different dietary needs. I have one on Zignature which is an excellent food if a dog needs it, but I’m supplementing with missing nutrients. If I was rating food, I wouldn’t compare it to Fromm, which is always my favorite.

·
Registered
412 Posts
McGloomy;[email protected][B said:
Katsugsd[/B] You feed Victor nutra pro too? Is it normal that the food is so dark it's almost black?

LOL, yes. My husband told me it looks like mini-Coco puffs but smells bad. :grin2:
Your pup's poo will be darker as well. It concerned me the first time until I realized it was the food that gave it that color.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@mmags first of all thank you for the review! I am too one of the people who feed kibble, so I do a lot of research on it. I created a similar post some time ago, also based on experience AND budget. A lot of new owners come to this forum and ask 'What's the best food for pup? For adult? For senior? In general?' and I know that posts like this will tremendously help! So thank you again.

I've just literally started to change from TOTW to Victor Nutra Pro last night, becausr my boy lost 7lb while staying with a sitter for 20 days, so my vet opted a high protein food for now. TOTW so far has been my absolute favourite, but we'll see how my boy does on Victor.
@Katsugsd You feed Victor nutra pro too? Is it normal that the food is so dark it's almost black?
Nutra Pro is probably my favorite formula they have. The dark stools are normal. The food is very dark, same thing happens on the Ultra Pro formula. I think its the blood meal in the food that makes it so dark.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Aren’t some of those grain free? I would evaluate grain free separately from food with grain because they fit different dietary needs. I have one on Zignature which is an excellent food if a dog needs it, but I’m supplementing with missing nutrients. If I was rating food, I wouldn’t compare it to Fromm, which is always my favorite.
Yeah, some are. I thought about using Zignature at one point but too many peas and a high fiber content for me, however, I know a lot of people have had good results with it.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Yeah, some are. I thought about using Zignature at one point but too many peas and a high fiber content for me, however, I know a lot of people have had good results with it.
It was either a LID food or Hills IS which is mostly corn. I use Zignature for medical reasons. I wouldn’t feed that recipe to a young, healthy dog.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We've been feeding our dogs 'taste of the wild' high prairie blend for quite a while and it's been working out well.

We supplement it every other feeding with a cut up slice of cheese, or pieces of luncheon meat, or an egg.

My 26mo GSD has adapted well to it...good BM's etc.

I would never knowingly feed our dogs any food or treats from China. Those people have production quotas not ethics or reputation.

·
Registered
671 Posts
@mmags and @Katsugsd thanks! I would've thought it was so dark because of the blood meal as well, this is the 1st kibble I've purchased that has bloodmeal so I've never seen it before. It's definitely a very rich formula with multiple proteins and high protein percentage. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kibble!

I'm appreciating all the info and experience I see here. I've got an 11 month old GSD female rescue that was pretty thin (60 #) when I got her four weeks ago - I'd estimate she's put on at least 2-3 lbs but will be weighing her at the vet again soon just to check.
The 'best kibble' question is always such a conundrum! This is my fourth large dog, but first GSD, and shes eating the Costco "Wilderness" puppy formula right now and is doing well with it digestion wise- she also gets a raw egg daily from our chickens here. My only concern is that she doesn't really seem to love it - she eats it but is never super-excited for meal time. My other dogs were all labs, so maybe it's just the breed difference, or maybe I will try the Victor. Our local pet store actually gave me some samples for her - yay!
She doesn't like any type of dog biscuit or treat, except ones that are pure meat/ liver too , which is good for her weight, but makes training more challenging too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Victor Nutra Pro, Hero Canine and Ultra Pro 42 are by far my favorite dog foods, but they can be pricey with multiple dogs. I've been using Purina Pro Plan Sport as an alternative to nutra pro. It seems almost identical. Have you tried it and if you have, what's your opinion on using it vs the victor foods I mentioned? On all 3 of those, I have to spend near $200 a month to feed both my dogs, but I'm sitting at around $120 with the Purina. I won't even touch any other Purina brand food, or most things you can get at commercial stores.

I'm appreciating all the info and experience I see here. I've got an 11 month old GSD female rescue that was pretty thin (60 #) when I got her four weeks ago - I'd estimate she's put on at least 2-3 lbs but will be weighing her at the vet again soon just to check.
The 'best kibble' question is always such a conundrum! This is my fourth large dog, but first GSD, and shes eating the Costco "Wilderness" puppy formula right now and is doing well with it digestion wise- she also gets a raw egg daily from our chickens here. My only concern is that she doesn't really seem to love it - she eats it but is never super-excited for meal time. My other dogs were all labs, so maybe it's just the breed difference, or maybe I will try the Victor. Our local pet store actually gave me some samples for her - yay!
She doesn't like any type of dog biscuit or treat, except ones that are pure meat/ liver too , which is good for her weight, but makes training more challenging too.
You don't really need puppy food. High protein adult food may work better. Both of my dogs have been on adult food from around 4-5 months of age. Victor has several very high protein options!

·
Registered
671 Posts
@clipke I beg to differ, but neither Victor Nutra Pro or Ultra Pro 42 are identical to Purina Sport ALS. The 1st 5 ingredients have all corn, wheat and by-products. It even has 'animal digest.' and it has like, 1 or 2 protein chicken and fish? Compared to Nutra or Ultra which are multi-protein. And the Purina Sport is not that cheap either, $50 for a bag. It's definitely a lower class than Victor. Just my honest opinion.

Anyways, going on a week with Nutra Pro (switched from TOTW). Stools are firm and solid. Don't notice a change in energy because TOTW is equally a great product. But with 475cal/cup, I feed 4 cups now instead of 5. Will continue to feed this.

·
Registered
311 Posts
@clipke I beg to differ, but neither Victor Nutra Pro or Ultra Pro 42 are identical to Purina Sport ALS. The 1st 5 ingredients have all corn, wheat and by-products. It even has 'animal digest.' and it has like, 1 or 2 protein chicken and fish? Compared to Nutra or Ultra which are multi-protein. And the Purina Sport is not that cheap either, $50 for a bag. It's definitely a lower class than Victor. Just my honest opinion.

Anyways, going on a week with Nutra Pro (switched from TOTW). Stools are firm and solid. Don't notice a change in energy because TOTW is equally a great product. But with 475cal/cup, I feed 4 cups now instead of 5. Will continue to feed this.
At my local PetsMart it's $60 for a 50lbs bag of Purina Pro Plan Sport, and the cheapest I can find Victor is on Chewy. The 42 is like $60 for a 30lbs bag. That would last a week for my dogs. $60 a week is pretty pricey for me. I meant identical from a macro nutrient perspective. My dogs have only ever been on 30/20 food for the most part, and the best balance between quality and price I've found is the Pro Plan. My rottie mix has tried pretty much every 30% protein food I've been able to find online. He wouldn't even touch Sportmix high protein, and Taste of the Wild High Prairie he wasn't a fan of either. We have a local game dog(they specialize in Bully breed products) feed store that sells pretty much exclusively Victor, and I've been considering going back to it but the price is a concern for me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Right. @clipke if you're looking for 30/20, just a recommendation, have you looked at Victor Hi-Pro Plus? It's $50 for a 40lb bag on Chewy! That's more quality and more bang for your buck compared to Purina Sport!

https://www.chewy.com/victor-hi-pro-plus-formula-dry-dog/dp/120690

Lol my boy was the same, he hated TOTW high prairie and detested TOTW wetlands (duck). He liked the pacific stream.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you don't want to feed pro plan maybe look at Beaverdam or American Natural Premium. Both are smaller companies but their food is sold on Chewy. Beverdam has a 26/18 food and the 40 lb bag is only $43. American Natural Premium is made by Fromm, if I remember right, and their 33lb bag is $51 for the 30/20.
I'm feeding Pro plan sport right now and have no problem with it. My younger female is picky and she likes it so I'm happy for now. Animal digest sounds terrible but its the same as natural flavor listed on some bags of food. I have fed Dr Tim's in the past and loved the results for some of the dogs but the picky one drove me crazy spitting it all over the floor half the time.
Feed what you can afford, and a food that the dogs do well on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Meant to add that Diamond natural s has an endurance formula and it is very reasonable in price if you are ok with feeding a Diamond food. It's a 32/25 food for around $40.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
The food @barnyard is referring to is "Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete" (32% protein -- $42.99 for 40# at Chewy). It's a chicken-based food with rice and barley. It's fairly high calorie (470kcal per cup) and relatively inexpensive, so our rescue has occasionally used it with "hard-keepers" who need something extra.

https://www.chewy.com/diamond-naturals-extreme-athlete/dp/44931

As I've said many times here, when your budget is tight, it's very hard to beat the price/value proposition that Diamond offers. There are better foods out there, but they cost more (and sometimes a lot more). For dogs that do well on chicken/rice, Diamond Naturals foods (and their private-label siblings) tend to feed out pretty well, especially for a food at this price point. If you have to make a budget compromise, something from this line is probably the most bang for your buck.

FWIW, I have a lot of anecdotal information on how their foods feed out because most of our fosters feed some version of it (incl. their Large Breed Puppy, and the Costco/Kirkland Chicken/Rice -- which is the same as Diamond Naturals Chicken/Rice), and many, many adopters choose to continue feeding some version of it (usually the private labeled version from Costco/Kirkland or TSC/4Health). We're a fairly poor state where most people cannot afford $60-$70 for 28-30 pounds of food. I don't want anyone to think they can't offer good care and love to a dog just because they can't afford to feed one of the most high-end foods!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts