German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I'm hoping someone can help me. My sweet 15 week old puppy developed a high temp yesterday 105 !!! Vet examined him and found that his joints were sore more than sore actually down right painful. He has never been a great eater but he completely stopped eating! My vet ex-rayed him and confirmed panosteitis. She gave him a shot to help him with the fever and sent us home with previcox. His fever never came down and I found myself in the E.R with him all night. He was completely lifeless really scary. The e.r vet said he could have a bacterial bone infection and prescribed antibotics and told me to keep him on the previcox. I lined his crate with frozen water bottles to try and keep his fever down. He was 102 this morning and was able to stand on his own and walked to the bathroom outside. Does anyone have experience with this disease and is a high fever normal? The meds have kicked in and he's feeling better ..... I'm not sure what I should be feeding him at this point .... any suggestion?
What should I be looking for in a food for him ? He was eating adult food but I'm rethinking that now.
My vet also suggested vit e 400 mg, vit C 1000 2x a day and a multi

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have had pano in a few of my puppies, no fever, but off their food at times.

I'm not sure on the vitamin part, others may know.

You should keep him on adult food. I never feed any of my puppies "puppy" food, they go straight to adult.

With a fever that high, honestly while maybe not uncommon, I have just never heard of it in pano. So the ER could be correct.

Since he's only 15 weeks old, not sure if he could have contracted any tick diseases at this point? Did they do a tick test?

·
Registered
31,802 Posts
Isn't 15 weeks early for Pano? Is he UTD on all vaccinations? Did he have any shortly before this started? Definitely check for tick diseases. Ask the vet for a Snap4 test. Did they run a CBC to check for cell count and verify an infection?

Can parvo/distemper cause any of these symptoms?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He actually had his last set of shots 7 days ago. Could there be a delayed reaction? He's much better today wagged his tail and actually eating (only because I mixed white rice & stinky sardines in with his food) I'm so worried about him.
Sylvia

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If you do use supplements, be sure on the vitamin c that you get the ascorbic acid and not calcium ascorbate. No need to up the calcium levels any more.

·
Registered
31,802 Posts
How is your puppy today? Is the fever gone?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fever is gone !!! I was so worried about him not eating I added sardines, white rice and a little can food the vet gave me. He ate every last bit of it he seems happy and playful today. I'm still watching him closely and hope and pray he's past the worst of it. It was incredibly hard to watch such a fun loving pup get that sick so quickly.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
31,802 Posts
boil the rice with twice the water and use brown rice instead of white. Healthier for him. You could try some sweet potatoes too.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
He actually had his last set of shots 7 days ago. Could there be a delayed reaction? He's much better today wagged his tail and actually eating (only because I mixed white rice & stinky sardines in with his food) I'm so worried about him.
Sylvia
Per Dr. Jean Dodds: Adverse Events Associated with Vaccination
The clinical signs associated with vaccine reactions typically include fever, stiffness, sore joints and abdominal tenderness: Adverse Reactions to Vaccine: Treatment and Management | Truth4Dogs

Also, start with small amounts of Vit. C and work up to the recommended dose as it can cause diarrhea. Rule of thumb is, as you are working up to the intended dose, when loose stool starts, back off to previous dose and keep the dog there for a few days. Then try to increase dose again. If the loose stool reoccurs, stay on previous dose as too many mg's for that particular dog may be too much.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I had a similar experience with a similar aged foster puppy several years ago. High fever, listless, not eating. After several days and my vet searching some old text books, she diagnosed Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy. It is similar to panosteitis and is treated pretty much the same way. It is self-limiting and they grow out of it, but it is scary when you have a puppy that is so sick at such a young age.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did your foster puppy have any long term affects ? What causes HOD ? Will it reoccur like pano?

I'm desperately trying to find out what's going on with my little guy. (actually Big guy)
What should the average weight be for a 16 week old puppy ? His mother was imported from Germany his father is from German lines but was bred in the states. He was supposed to be carefully bred from working lines to avoid these issues. He has a beautiful mind extremely smart and well behaved keen to make us happy. I was hoping to use him as a therapy dog for my son who has Asperger's.
Thank you all for your suggestions I've learned so much for this site already !

Sylvia

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My understanding is that HOD can recur just like panosteitis and that it is very similar. My foster puppy was with me for about three weeks and was then adopted by a GSD rescuer who had just lost her GSD.

When my then vet diagnosed this puppy with HOD, she did so because of what she said were distinct x-ray findings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sam's x-ray's

I really have no idea what I'm looking for in these x-rays. I'm taking him back to the vet tomorrow. Maybe I'll have more answers then. My gut says he may have HOD not sure why my vet didn't discuss that with me .

He's been happy and playful but I'm worried that's just all the drugs he's on. Sam's wobbly behind now he wasn't really like that before he got sick. Hopefully he just needs time to recoup and will soon go back to normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
X-rays are also used to diagnose HOD. That is how my foster puppy was correctly diagnosed several years ago when I had her with me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts