German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have an 8 month old German Shepherd, she weighs 72lbs and recently she's been itching a lot more than usual. I never really thought much of it, as all dogs itch, but now it's getting worse. I have booked an appointment with the vet - but sadly the only the earliest time is Thursday (exactly a week away).

I have did the usual dog owner google search, and some things would make sense to why she's itching. We've been experiencing a heat wave for almost a month now. It has been very hot and humid and some say that's why she's itching. Which I could see, but she's also itching so much it's making her lose hair on her right ear. There isn't much I can do about the hair loss, but will it grow back overtime? I'm very disappointed that I cannot get her in until next week as it's torture for her.

My original question is, is there anything I can give her such as Benedryl to stop the itching? I feel very bad about her itching all the time. The vet told me to give her Cod Liver Oil as it helps their skin or something. I've been giving her that and it seems to calm her down a bit, but I'd like something a little stronger until we get to the vet. I have used the Benedryl spray on her ear and it soothes the itching I'm guessing as she also stops itching for a bit but the spray is kind of hard to get on her as she is very nervous of noises such as spray bottles :laugh2::laugh2:

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Any recent changes? New laundry detergent, flooring, switched dog food, recent vaccinations, ect...? If she doesn't like the spray then spray some on a cotton ball, and wipe it on instead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts