German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 week old female sheperd and she keeps pooping and peeing in the house on the carpet. I live on the second floor of an apartment so it is kind of harder to take her outside but she just started to walk down the steps. I get her down we go for a nice run/walk but she doesn't use the bathroom once.

I take her out as soon as shes done eating and its like she waits to get back inside then she goes to the bathroom. I don't know what to do!!!???

I tried lying puppy pads down with the house breaking scent but it doesn't seem to work.

Is it too late to train her to go outside?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Try taking her out every two hours, and reward her with a treat and praise her when she goes outside. Say "good pee, or good poo" so she starts connecting those words with the meaning. Is there a common place near your apartment where other dogs like to go?
We have a grassy, ivy covered area behind our condo where many dogs in our neighborhood seem to favor for their pee spot. How long do you keep her outside?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
you have to catch her in the act. if you're not watching her like a hawk when shes inside then of course she wont think anything is wrong with going inside. when she squats to pee or poop give her a stern NO!, pick her up and run her outside and say go pooty. when she does give her lots and lots of praise. she'll learn going inside is bad and going outside gets me lots of praise.

my pup is 9 weeks and already knows going inside is bad. he'll run and wait at the door. sometimes im not paying attention and he cant hold it any longer and will leave a pile of poop on the door mat...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have a 15 week old and we're finally getting it down hardly any accidents.. After food and water I usually wait 15 to 20 minutes and by then he's ready to go. Other than that I walk he every 2 hours. I'm with Boomer when she's in the Act make a beeline with her outside, you might have to carry her a few times but she will catch on fast lots of praise and it's never to late or hopeless just be patient and best of luck...

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would set the routine up for every two hours to. She will have to go when she wakes up, eats, or plays. I'd give it about 10 minutes after she eats, then carry her down the stairs, have her on a leash...this is not play time, its potty time. Wait a few minutes, if she doesn't go, either put her in the crate or keep her right next to you and try again in another 10 minutes. You will be getting lots of exercise:D

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take her out more often. be careful with the running your pup
is 3 months old.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It sounds like an issue of consistency. First things first. Ditch the pee pads they are useless.

You can't expect to have a perfectly potty trained puppy at that age. I've seen puppies potty train very quickly at that age but it isn't typically the norm.

That puppy needs to go to the bathroom once every 2 hours at the very least. They can hold it usually overnight or close to it at that age but only when confined usually.

You need to set up a routine and mine typically looks like this.

For the first week I take a puppy home I do nothing but positive training. I watch the puppy like a hawk when he is in the house and when he shows any signs he's looking to go to the bathroom I whisk him up in my arms and take him out. As soon as he starts to do his thing I say "good potty!" over and over again in an excited happy tone until they are done doing their business. This is important because 1. You are conditioning your puppy to go on command when you say good potty "or whatever you choose to say." 2. You are letting the puppy know you are really happy hes doing it outside and encouraging him to do his business in front of you to get the little puppy party you will throw for him.

Soon as he is done you don't take him right inside you play with the pup for a bit. You do this because you don't want the puppy to realize outside time is over as soon as he does his business or he will delay doing it knowing the fun will end and hes back inside.

If you catch him doing it inside that first week don't do anything. Don't correct him, don't tell him no, but at the same time don't praise him. You screwed up. Hang your head in shame.

Into the second week you carry on as before except you add a correction for when he screws up inside. It is a correction meant to startle the puppy IF you catch him in the act. You should still be watching that pup like a hawk when hes not in a crate. I usually use a loud NO! and then stomp. DONT HIT THE PUPPY. It should be a sound correction only. The puppy usually stops when startled in the act and you very quickly pick them up, say outside! Then put him outside to finish and when he does finish you praise that puppy with "good potty!" Play it up big like if he dragged a bundle of kittens from a burning building. If you don't catch the puppy in the act then again do nothing cause you failed.

Make sure you use a odor destroyer spray meant for pet odors to clean whatever spot he goes on in the house so that the scent isn't there to make him want to revisit that spot.

Also if you're feeling really advanced what you can do is get a bell to hang around the door at a height the puppy can reach. Every time you take him out to go to the bathroom you ring that bell with his nose or paw. The puppy will catch on very quickly and begin to ring that bell whenever he needs to go out to potty. Don't underestimate puppies here. I had mine ringing the bell to go out at 8.5 weeks. They are not stupid and learn very quickly at this age.

He will abuse that bell at first. You must take him out everytime anyway. You'll be surprised how many times he actually really needed to pee again. Eventually the novelty wears off. If you take the bell away after sometime usually the dog still tries to slam the door like if the bell was there. If you are worried about the door being scratched up tell him no when he does that when the bell isnt there. Usually he starts to whine at the door because he can't hit a bell knows he isnt supposed to slam and scratch the door and is frustrated. Take him out when he whines and now you have a dog that whines and sits in front of the door when he needs to go out.

·
Registered
31,807 Posts
Take her out every two hours and/or 15 minutes after she eats. Give her 15 minutes. If she doesn't go, bring her back inside and put her in a crate. Repeat until she goes. If you know she needs to go, don't wait the 2 hours in between.

Thoroughly clean your floors and carpets with an enzymatic cleaner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can I just suggest that since you're having a lot of struggle with this, you at first take the pup out every 45 minutes to an hour? Or think of it like this: every time the activity changes, go out to potty. Wake up from nap - potty break. Play for a bit - potty break when play time ends. Eating - potty a few minutes after. You'll start to see a pattern with your dog, but the trick is to be out there A LOT! And praise like crazy! After a good week of barely any accidents, then start shifting to going out every two hours. My pup is 5 months old, and when we're home hanging out and playing, she will still go out every hour to pee even though she could technically hold it much longer (and has when we aren't home). Good luck!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Be sure you are thoroughly cleaning the spots. I use a carpet cleaner and then an enzymatic cleaner on top of that. My pup is 12 weeks old and doing really well now. However, until the past week or so I carried him outside for his first trip (and down the steps of our deck) because I was afraid he wouldn't make it after holding all night. Pick a phrase or keyword that you use ... my puppy will "take a break" on command now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so she just ate. she tried peeing not even 3 minutes after she ate. i picked her up and carrier her outside and all she did was sniff around in the grass for about 10 minutes. i carried her back up and i just put her into the crate. a enclosed cage i have. its not the biggest but she always sleeps in it at night without me putting her in.

right now she is whining while she is in the crate. she has calmed down just a little.

when do i take her out of the crate?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: She started to sniff on the carpet I took her out for about 10 minutes. She just sniffs everywhere, didn't go.

BUT.... progress that we have made she led me up the stairs without me having to pick her up!! the first week Iv had her she has been scared to death to go up/down the steps.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
ok so she just ate. she tried peeing not even 3 minutes after she ate. i picked her up and carrier her outside and all she did was sniff around in the grass for about 10 minutes. i carried her back up and i just put her into the crate. a enclosed cage i have. its not the biggest but she always sleeps in it at night without me putting her in.

right now she is whining while she is in the crate. she has calmed down just a little.

when do i take her out of the crate?
I'd say 10 to 15 minutes later..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ended up getting some high value treats, small pieces of hotdog or string cheese. She can now "go potty" on command, at least number 1. She loved hot dog pieces so much that she would try fake peeing for a second, just a split second squat and pop back up. No treat unless I saw pee. It worked in about 2weeks. I still take her out every hour or so, say go potty and she does it, even if it's just a little. Might want to find what she/he loves and use it or potty training only.

Just my 2cents....

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I'm 100% on board with ditching the puppy pads. They work BRILLIANTLY to teach our pups to go inside. Then we suddenly change the game to outdoors and they have no idea what you want.

You need to go outside more often and stay outside. If you have a car, take the pup to new places and just stay walking/running/hiking and all until they go and you can reward with praise or whatever works.

It IS harder when you are in an apartment. But at least it's summer :) .

I really take my pups outside every hour or so too the first weeks. Really.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have these ceaser treats and I have purina beggin strips. she doesn't seem too fond of either as a dog should like treats.....

So just cook up a hot dog and give he pieces of it?

Also, what does putting her in the crate do after going outside if she doesn't go? after 15 minutes of leaving her in the crate do u take her back out or just let her roam in the house until the next hour?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Putting her back in the crate ensures that she won't just have an accident if she didn't go outside. Ten or fifteen minutes later, you take her outside again. Say, "Go potty" and ignore her until she goes. As soon as she goes, you get really excited, lots of praise and a treat. Then she gets free roam in the house for an hour or so. Then repeat the process. She may take a while to go outside on your trips because she's formed this habit of coming back inside and using your floor for a potty. I swear sometimes my lab would make me wait 20 minutes, but do not give up and let her free in the house until she's gone. And don't turn your back on her. Keep her leashed to you or in her crate if she's free in the house.

I know it seems awful right now, but it will get better. Be very clear with her, no mixed signals. No petting after you've given her the "go potty" command until she's actually gone potty. She'll learn to go quick so she can get attention. My five month old still tries to get the ball and play with me first thing in the morning. I ignore her until she's done pottying. Be patient and good luck!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have these ceaser treats and I have purina beggin strips. she doesn't seem too fond of either as a dog should like treats.....

So just cook up a hot dog and give he pieces of it?

Also, what does putting her in the crate do after going outside if she doesn't go? after 15 minutes of leaving her in the crate do u take her back out or just let her roam in the house until the next hour?
After 15 minutes back out, my boy used to make me wait he still has me pacing back and fourth for about 10 minutes while he finds the right place to poop lol.... you will get it you just got to get a routine down and learn to read your pup more and all will work out fine... I know it's not easy seeing as I'm going through this as well but keep your head up and I promise soon this will be a fond memory ;)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
OP: What do YOU do when you take your pup out to potty?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts