German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping i could get some clear footage of her walking. She does the bunny hop thing when she runs and when she walks, she walks like she's got a screw loose or something. From what you CAN see in the video, does she move okay? or is it off for a 5 month old puppy and should i be worried about her hips? Vet tech she was fine but i'm not totally confident even as nice as they are and Shasta loves them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
How does she do running over a longer distance? My shepherds have always bunny hopped when they "ran" in a really short distance or within a room and nothing was wrong with their hips. My little guy sometimes I swear he has a ball joint at the base of the spin as he wiggles and sways around....pup thing. His hips are fine too :p

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does she do running over a longer distance? My shepherds have always bunny hopped when they "ran" in a really short distance or within a room and nothing was wrong with their hips. My little guy sometimes I swear he has a ball joint at the base of the spin as he wiggles and sways around....pup thing. His hips are fine too :p

thats the thing! i dont know how she does over long distances!!! she's a short distance bouncer! lol. Our back yard isnt real big because base housing doesnt seem to think an actual sized yard would be nice to have lol. and we havent been to the dog park recently because we were finishing up her shots before we went back. After a walk around the block we'll get home and she walks like she has no serious control over her back legs. I'll try to get a better video when hubby gets home from work. I'll see how she does if i can get her to the dog park hopefully today. She doesnt seem like she has an issues but she's also pretty lazy about walking sometimes. Maybe i'm just worried because her dad is such a big guy (130 lbs BEFORE losing weight though he needed to gain some back) and she's a pretty big pup herself so i may just be losing my mind.

·
Registered
972 Posts
My 5 month old puppy does the same thing! i think he is just lanky and isn't super bulky yet, his back toes kind look pigeon toed sometimes, but i do run him a lot and he does really well on long walks and playing and running with big dogs.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 5 month old puppy does the same thing! i think he is just lanky and isn't super bulky yet, his back toes kind look pigeon toed sometimes, but i do run him a lot and he does really well on long walks and playing and running with big dogs.

i will take comfort in the fact i'm not the only one! She's my first actual PB GSD pup. Riley was 5 months old when we adopted him and he wasnt goofy in his movements and such. I guess Shasta is just entering that goofy puppy stage.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Zero is my first GSD but i have a lot of friends who had had them their whole lives and they say he is perfectly fine, just at a "goofy stage" which is a perfect way to put it!, he still flops his paws when he runs because they are so big haha. And zero does hop around a lot as well. I think its just easier for him to get his feet going where he wants.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have had countless people ask me if both my dogs have hip problems already (they're almost 10 months) they are still kind of at the lanky stage but when they were Shasta's age, they weebled and wobbled, A LOT. People unfamiliar with the lanky stage assume there's a problem with the legs or hips or joints. She looks ok to me, although not an expert, I have seen lots of this from my two goons. More so from my male because he is larger than his sister, therefore more lanky and shaky. Bayla, my female did the bunny hop thing for a few days but it didn't last. It was cute but it was almost like she was trying to find the best way to travel.
I think it's just a matter of watching to make sure it's just a stage, I think otherwise, she would be doing it in other areas like on walks.
She is adorable though, lots of spunk! I like that.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zero is my first GSD but i have a lot of friends who had had them their whole lives and they say he is perfectly fine, just at a "goofy stage" which is a perfect way to put it!, he still flops his paws when he runs because they are so big haha. And zero does hop around a lot as well. I think its just easier for him to get his feet going where he wants.

True. Shasta's feet are HUGE. I'm pretty sure in the video she's flopping around lol. monster puppy feet EVERYWHERE!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had countless people ask me if both my dogs have hip problems already (they're almost 10 months) they are still kind of at the lanky stage but when they were Shasta's age, they weebled and wobbled, A LOT. People unfamiliar with the lanky stage assume there's a problem with the legs or hips or joints. She looks ok to me, although not an expert, I have seen lots of this from my two goons. More so from my male because he is larger than his sister, therefore more lanky and shaky. Bayla, my female did the bunny hop thing for a few days but it didn't last. It was cute but it was almost like she was trying to find the best way to travel.
I think it's just a matter of watching to make sure it's just a stage, I think otherwise, she would be doing it in other areas like on walks.
She is adorable though, lots of spunk! I like that.

lol yeah she's a spunky girl for sure. I have one of those decorative custom plates on my car in the window that says Spunky. Its my sisters nickname for me. guess i got a puppy just as fiesty! lol. I've been told Shasta is pretty good sized for a 5 month old pup but i think she's kinda small! Especially after seeing a 5 month old pup at petsmart for a training class (these elder people should have gotten an adult dog instead of a puppy!). That pup was HUGE. I mean freaking massive! He could easily have passed for at LEAST 8 months old. The lady could barely handle him. So i worry not only for the people but the pup if he doesnt pick up on training and behave better. Shasta looked like a newborn next to that monster dog!

·
Registered
195 Posts
How much does she weigh now? I'll go back and look at the vet records to see how much Bayla was, but I think Bayla's kinda small too. Although you'd never know it by the size of her paws....and I always forget, she's not yet done growing.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much does she weigh now? I'll go back and look at the vet records to see how much Bayla was, but I think Bayla's kinda small too. Although you'd never know it by the size of her paws....and I always forget, she's not yet done growing.

her last vet visit last wednesday she weighed in at 47.6 lbs. And you can definitely feel it when you pick her up to lift her over a baby gate or in the car. She hates the car so we're working on it. Riley hated the car too but he didnt get car sick. He'd just had bad experiences. He LOVES it now. Trying to get that point with Shasta. Dont need to wrestle a 70+lb dog into an SUV or car!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay so i finally got some video of her walking. take a look and tell me whatcha think. and before you ask, there is a cat under the table growling at her because she's obnoxious and bouncy and they dont like that! lol.

Does she walk normally for a 5 month old pup?

ignore the mess!!! the house is kinda a disaster. We're in the annoying process of thoroughly cleaning!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
okay so i finally got some video of her walking. take a look and tell me whatcha think. and before you ask, there is a cat under the table growling at her because she's obnoxious and bouncy and they dont like that! lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6gEqciHDUo

Does she walk normally for a 5 month old pup?

ignore the mess!!! the house is kinda a disaster. We're in the annoying process of thoroughly cleaning!
You haven't seen what ours looks like right now. The movers are coming in one week and I am pulling everything out and it's a DISASTER!
Today I made the mistake and went upstairs into the storage room and the guy from the moving company came by.. it was sooo emberassaing. :help:

Anyhow, as for Shasta, she's walking like my bitch Zenzy and she's clean. Sometimes you have dogs that wiggle like they have the worst HD ever and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. If you can, take the camera, go outside and take her on a walk on the leash and then get footage. Let her trot too.

If there is a dog park, go there when nobody is around, take two friends. Let one hold the camera. Have one friend walk away from you with Shasta. Let the walk 30-40 meters away from you even if she is protesting. Call her, make all kind of noises and then have your friend let go of her.

That will show you if she will still do the bunny hop or actually run back to you.

It'll give you three things. The way she's running and how well bonded she is and it's a wonderful re-call training :D

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
He looks fine to me, just that goofy stage.

I second this :

............. Have one friend walk away from you with Shasta. Let the walk 30-40 meters away from you even if she is protesting. Call her, make all kind of noises and then have your friend let go of her.

That will show you if she will still do the bunny hop or actually run back to you.

It'll give you three things. The way she's running and how well bonded she is and it's a wonderful re-call training :D
As much off leash tearing around outdoors as you can get in will help strengthen and muscle your pup up.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree, seems like a puppy walk. Find a school, military base or tennis court, someplace that has a large fenced area so she can run distances, uphill would be especially good. Swimming too is great for muscle building without stressing joints. She's adorable!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you for your feedback. Like i said, she's my first PB GSD pup. Riley never walked like that but he was also pretty active. Took Shasta to the dog park on base yesterday and she kinda ran, kinda flopped lol. I'll try to take my camera next time. She was unsure about the other dogs probably because it was an open space and she's used to meeting on leash. Yesterday was the first time she's been to the dog park in a few weeks because we wanted to wait til she'd finished her shots which was last week. I'll give it a shot with the walking and running next time i go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts