German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 month old GSD and I've been feeding him this combo......

2 meals a day

About 4cups of TOTW

1 scoop of Nupro

And 4 tablespoons of low fat organic yogurt

Amounts are divided in half since I feed him twice a day. So far he loves it and his coat is shiny and he has so much energy. Stool is solid . Any opinions? I plan to give him this for years...... Puppy is 3 1/2 months old 40lbs

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Too much yogurt.

Feed 3 equal meals instead of 2 - if possible.

I'd cut out the nupro.

Which TOTW formula are you feeding? Some have too much calcium for growing large breed puppies. The puppy formulas are fine.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
He's picky because you're allowing him to be picky. He holds out with his food and he gets better stuff put in his bowl like a bunch of yogurt and vitamins he probably doesn't need. He's training you!

Put the food down and give him 10 minutes to eat it. If he doesn't... pick up the food and he doesn't get anything until his next meal. He'll give in eventually. He needs to learn that he's not allowed to be picky or he misses a meal. This is what I'd do at least.

A healthy dog isn't going to starve himself. If he's already 40 pounds at 3 months old, I'm sure you can risk him missing a meal or two in the process and he'll be fine.

·
Registered
942 Posts
He's picky because you're allowing him to be picky. He holds out with his food and he gets better stuff put in his bowl like a bunch of yogurt and vitamins he probably doesn't need. He's training you!

Put the food down and give him 10 minutes to eat it. If he doesn't... pick up the food and he doesn't get anything until his next meal. He'll give in eventually. He needs to learn that he's not allowed to be picky or he misses a meal. This is what I'd do at least.

A healthy dog isn't going to starve himself. If he's already 40 pounds at 3 months old, I'm sure you can risk him missing a meal or two in the process and he'll be fine.
I know everyone says to put the food down for X number of minutes...but doesn't that teach them to rush eating?

OP-- I use two squirts of salmon oil, some probiotics and digestive enzymes (had PURE diarrhea and soft-serve style poops before that!)...he eats at a decent pace, eats it ALL...he's on TOTW puppy salmon food. Poops are great now!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I will try this tonight . Thanks !

TOTW is a good enough food to supplement all his nutritional needs as a puppy?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
AAFCO Statement
Taste of the Wild® High Prairie Puppy® Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages.

I agree with all of Lucy Dog's recommendations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts