German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

So Rex is 9 months old. I have had him for 20 days. First 10, I used a nursery during the day and did training.

Then I took about a full week off and I was with him all the time. Now I have to go back to work. Here is my schedule:

Wake up at 6 am, walk, pipi, food, walk, poopoo, and I leave the house at 9.00 am after I crate him.

Come back to house at noon. Take him out, walk pipi, play, stay with him to 1.30 pm. Crate and go back to work.

Come back from work at 5 pm and spend all the time with him until midnight. Crate and sleep on couch next to crate.

I would love your opinion with regards to my schedule and his well being. In about a month, once his training gets hold, I will be taking him to work 2-3 times a week. All weekend now is spent with him and late on as well.

Many thanks for all your support.

Best

Mozi

·
Registered
468 Posts
I honestly wish I could give that much time to my three as you do for Rex!

I don't get a lunch break where I can go home at my current position. I used to and would go home for a 30 minute potty break and some play time, but have changed positions. Hopefully I'll return to the previous position so I can do that again. My three get an hour of play time and a 20 minute walk in the morning and from 3-9pm we do play, food, potty breaks, training, and more play. They all sleep in my room or are allowed to sleep in there with me. Weekends are for them as well.

My youngest is in daycare at my training facility for the next few months until he can be crated for the duration I am gone or I find a dog walker to break up the day.
I personally think you're schedule is great. :grin2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
We Do not have the time that you have, to dedicate to my now 10 month old. Not an expert, but you are expending ample time with your GSD. Consider yourself blessed, with a work schedule that allows you to go in at 9:00 am, and come back home for lunch around noon. I would venture to say, that most of us that are in the work force, are not able to do that.:|

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rex is one lucky dog, your schedule sounds ideal and it's so nice to hear you're putting so much thought and effort into

his well being. Kudo's to you for being a great pet owner.

my first shepherd was so well behaved that I took her to work with me 7 days per week. She loved it and thought

she had a job too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my schedule

I also have a 9 month old puppy but we have had her since she was 10 weeks so that is a bit different. Hopefully soon you will be able not to crate your dog. Mine has been out for a few months now. She sleeps on one of those raised beds that allow air flow.
I just keep all the doors closed and gates up where she is not allowed to go. She has her food and water as she grazes throughout the day. She is fine to go out in the am then once when someone gets home. I am fortunate that we have 4 adults coming and going
so she is never alone for hours and hours. Sounds like you are doing a great job.. look into daycare because its great for socialization even if its just once a week to break up the routine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the feedback. Ok, at least this will help not feeling bad when I leave him for a few hours crated when I go to work :)

I will start some day care activity as soon as he fully heals from the bash that caused a slight limp, now almost gone.

An interesting point. How can I gauge when he wont need a crate when I leave the house? I am waiting for Amazon to ship me that remote camera with the speaker for remote surveillance :laugh2:

Is stopping the crate an age related thing? How can I judge behaviour when I am not with him and cant see what he is doing and whether he reached a "level" where he is safe without a crate?

Cheers

Mozi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts