German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I got my GSD puppy on saturday (he is 7 1/2 weeks old) and so far he hasn't had an accident in the house. He sleeps fine in the crate at night too! Awesome right?! But I'm a working man and I am thinking of using this schedule for him:

- 6:45-7:45am: Walk, food / water, potty and play with him, then put him in his crate. (I get to work)
- 12:00-12:45pm: walk, food / water, potty and play with him, then put him in his crate. (I come home at lunch time)
- 5:30pm (I come home around this time): walk, food / water, potty and play with him.
- 6:00pm: training, spend time with him.
- 10:00pm: walk, water, potty and put him in his crate for the night.

between 6 and 10 he is playing / training with me or my family usually in the yard where he goes to relieve himself.

I have read most of the posts regarding crate training here. But I would like to get you guy's opinion about my schedule.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the above schedule is for 4 days a week. I work from home on one of the weekdays.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You know you might try working on potty on command. I was reading on how to help clipper poop, and service dogs, and others are trained to go on command. It is mostly based on time schedule, when you take note of when he pees or poops mostly, then start adding a command when he goes, they used " get busy " "busy, busy", etc, praise, treats. You could google how to train your dog to poop on command, and I also read about it on handicappedpets.com. Since you already have a schedule lined out it couldn't hurt to try! I was thinking next time I have a puppy I might give it a try! Good luck, sounds like a good plan!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know you might try working on potty on command. I was reading on how to help clipper poop, and service dogs, and others are trained to go on command. It is mostly based on time schedule, when you take note of when he pees or poops mostly, then start adding a command when he goes, they used " get busy " "busy, busy", etc, praise, treats. You could google how to train your dog to poop on command, and I also read about it on handicappedpets.com. Since you already have a schedule lined out it couldn't hurt to try! I was thinking next time I have a puppy I might give it a try! Good luck, sounds like a good plan!
Yes! I have been saying "poop" just before he does it and giving him a treat / hugs after :). Soon, hopefully he will figure it out. (I'm sure he will!)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
train more. short training sessions added in with the potty breaks,
playing and feeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts