German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
yes the fur will come back. lol. Her bitch stripe is showing. That's all. Sable GSDs go through a lot of coat changes. It's drastic in some dogs and not so much in others.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this is not a bitch stripe .
A bitch stripe is a salt and pepper back on a black and tan dog , often indicating fading pigment or less than desirable pigment .

What we are seeing here is a young sable in coat and colour transition. This sable's new coat is coming in and the deeper pigment is starting at the top .

Actually keep this dog in mind as an example later on of a sable that is a "pattern sable" . The dog will appear to look like a black and tan as the black on his back extends and as the tan colour comes in richer as well.

This is a sable . Will remain a sable . Will "look" black and tan .

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is not a bitch stripe .
A bitch stripe is a salt and pepper back on a black and tan dog , often indicating fading pigment or less than desirable pigment .

What we are seeing here is a young sable in coat and colour transition. This sable's new coat is coming in and the deeper pigment is starting at the top .

Actually keep this dog in mind as an example later on of a sable that is a "pattern sable" . The dog will appear to look like a black and tan as the black on his back extends and as the tan colour comes in richer as well.

This is a sable . Will remain a sable . Will "look" black and tan .
Thanks alot! I was wondering!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thanks Carmen for correcting me. Always learning!

Sorry OP. Appeared as a bitch stripe to me but may have been my screen (need a new phone for viewing pics. Mine is fuzzy and not fun anymore). Remember to take lots of pics!!! Seeing the coat changes through pics is pretty neat

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Carmen for correcting me. Always learning!

Sorry OP. Appeared as a bitch stripe to me but may have been my screen (need a new phone for viewing pics. Mine is fuzzy and not fun anymore). Remember to take lots of pics!!! Seeing the coat changes through pics is pretty neat
Just posted another thread in pictures if her changing coat!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts