German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a dog and had questions on the breed. People tell me he looks mixed and his color is not from the breed?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Looks like 1/4 - 1/2 German Shepherd and the other part looks mostly like a smaller herder breed, like an Australian Cattle dog. The dogs in the herding category are considered the most intelligent dogs.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
His head looks pure GSD, but his body shape, and brindling on the legs means there is something else there. Could be any breed that has brindling in the lines, like boxer, pit bull, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow, he is a brilliant looking dog. I so want to say he is pure gsd, sables have the black paint strokes on their paws, but there is just something about him that says he is a mix. His muzzle seems off and the exaggerated paint strokes seem off too. His tail seems too short for a gsd, and looks more like a spitz type tail. I want to say, maybe he has husky in there, say a sable gsd mixed with an agouti husky??? I'll let the experts chime in and bump this up. he is very unique looking, and well, I could be all wrong. His eye shape seems more almond shape, which would also follow suit with a husky. Is he standard gsd size, smaller, bigger?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Castle....I was going to say Pitt as well, his muzzle shape, to me anyways, doesn't look gsd, would a Rottie have a more solid body structure? His structure seems to be more like a solid body type, not as barrel chested as a typical gsd, but it is his face that didn't seem gsd, not really his body....hmmmm, he is an interesting creature, and funny how we all posted pretty much at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Hard to tell with some mixes what could be in there - GSD for sure, but yes, something else too. I think the dog may be a bit overweight giving an impression of being barrel-chested, but can't say for sure from the pictures. My rescue was a Rottie Mix I'm sure - and she was quite barrel-chested, making her look overweight, but under her longer coat, you could feel the ribs - so it was just her round shape that was deceiving the eye.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Your dog looks like a bicolor GSD. Color mix is a little different but I don't see any other breed contribution.

I'd still call it a GSD mix since I'm guessing it came from a shelter without the papers.

Great dog, no matter its original parents.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dot, how very interesting.....I am around blue heelers all the time, and they never resemble a gsd, but the link you provided, low and behold, yup, looks similar to this guy. Good eye Dot, I can buy into the gsd/blue heeler mix.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks, just a guess on my part. I think pit is another possibility. I believe my shepherd mix is part pit bull... The op might want to look at my thread "Tell me more about Chandler" to do a little comparison and read some of the comments from better versed posters about why my dog looks part bully. I found it very interesting and it might ring true with the op.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Dot, how very interesting.....I am around blue heelers all the time, and they never resemble a gsd, but the link you provided, low and behold, yup, looks similar to this guy. Good eye Dot, I can buy into the gsd/blue heeler mix.
Like I said, the dog doesn't come with papers no one knows its parents. Funny thing is my vet described my late purebred black GSD as a GSD mix! Some people who should know better forget GSDs come in all color variations. That's why I disagreed and thought its a GSD mix because of the lack of papers. As a GSD mix, its a fine dog for OP and lots of people have one like him they picked up from the local pound/rescue shelter.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Like I said, the dog doesn't come with papers no one knows its parents...That's why I disagreed and thought its a GSD mix because of the lack of papers. As a GSD mix, its a fine dog for OP and lots of people have one like him they picked up from the local pound/rescue shelter.
Well yes, there's no papers so we're all speculating... Isn't that the point of this thread? And I don't think anyone said it wasn't at least part gsd, so I'm not sure who you're disagreeing with:confused:

·
Registered
624 Posts
We're all speculating.

Whether its a purebred or a mix, a dog from a shelter/rescue group is going to be called a mix. That way no one can be accused of stating something that isn't known to a certainty.

And purebred GSDs wind up in shelters and rescue groups.

·
Registered
537 Posts
We're all speculating.

Whether its a purebred or a mix, a dog from a shelter/rescue group is going to be called a mix. That way no one can be accused of stating something that isn't known to a certainty.

And purebred GSDs wind up in shelters and rescue groups.
I know the shelter is going to call it a mix, and that pb gsds show up in shelters. Not sure what I said that indicated otherwise.

My confusion stems from you seemingly implying that since we can't be sure what the parents were, then we shouldn't speculate about this dog... But then you talk about "disagreeing and saying it was a gsd mix"....but who are you disagreeing with? Everyone thinks it's a gsd mix, the question is what else is in there...

I feel like I've missed something...

·
Registered
624 Posts
I know the shelter is going to call it a mix, and that pb gsds show up in shelters. Not sure what I said that indicated otherwise.

My confusion stems from you seemingly implying that since we can't be sure what the parents were, then we shouldn't speculate about this dog... But then you talk about "disagreeing and saying it was a gsd mix"....but who are you disagreeing with? Everyone thinks it's a gsd mix, the question is what else is in there...

I feel like I've missed something...
My view? As I said earlier, its a bicolor GSD. Let people call it a mix. I don't see anything else mixed in the dog. If there was anything else in it, it would be apparent.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
The only thing I keep getting drawn to that would make me question purebred is the head area just above the eyes and just below the ears. Just seems a little "wider" there. Maybe the side shot of the muzzle too the mouth and "draw back" in the back lip area looks Pitt.

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
Norman the majority of this dogs face is tan as well as tan (albeit brindle) traveling all the way up his hip - what about this looks like a bi color to you?! even blanket back is a stretch.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Norman the majority of this dogs face is tan as well as tan (albeit brindle) traveling all the way up his hip - what about this looks like a bi color to you?! even blanket back is a stretch.
Black nose, black head and back, tan lower legs.

Ok, there is some variation on the face. Nothing completely out of the
norm.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Probably a male gsd found his way to an in heat mutt. He looks very gsd, but slightly off. Trying to guess what the mutt was is the tough part, because then you may have some features & characteristics that are 'clearly one breed' versus 'is this the result of two breeds mixed together?'

I'd like two say he has a pure gsd parent...but then again...he could still be half gsd if both the parents were each half gsd mixed with others. That would complicate guessing even more.

You could always try the DNA tests. Although they aren't 100% accurate, they have gotten much better as they have more DNA strands identified (in the past you could test, say, a pure Rhodesian Ridge back and it would give the results of dogs in the ancestry, such as a great dane).
The more expensive ones tend to actually be better.
Or, argue with your significant other for years about what the mix is. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts