German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just wanted to post a few pictures of my rescue who is now almost 5. We’ve had her since 6 months old. Initially we were told she’s shepherd and Alaskan husky and I’ve always wondered if there might be something else. I came across Carolina dogs and believe She may be that based on various things she has going on at times: weariness of strangers, and fishhook tail

Curious. What are your thoughts ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
A DNA test would tell you for sure.She looks similar to my girl Misty who is a 'Euro Hound',a mixed breed racing type husky.Misty's ears are floppy though.I've never done the test with her.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Definitely looks husky to me. Not sure about what else might be mixed in. Embark DNA will tell you the mix if you want to pay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a GSD mix. We did the DNA test by Wisdom and bought the test 50% off on Black Friday. It came back 50% GSD, 25% Doberman, and 25% mix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol I just saw that embark has Carolina dog now in their breed list. Perhaps it’s worth a try?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
What a neat looking dog. What is her temperment like? If you're in the right geographical location, she looks like she could have some Carolina Dog in her, just based on a quick google image search. I'm far from an expert. Whatever she is, she's lovely. If you do a DNA test on her, be sure to come back and update us. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What a neat looking dog. What is her temperment like? If you're in the right geographical location, she looks like she could have some Carolina Dog in her, just based on a quick google image search. I'm far from an expert. Whatever she is, she's lovely. If you do a DNA test on her, be sure to come back and update us. :)
Thank you! She was found in Merced county, California and transferred to SF Spca in California where I found and adopted her when she was 6 months old. She’s very sweet, medium energy, a very silly girl. She was a very nervous pup (afraid of everything) and has blossomed since we’ve had her to a very sweet pup. She still has some quirks with strangers and kids (toddlers mostly) at times and prefers to initiate engaging, but warms up after a while (she likes to follow Cesar Milan’s teaching of “no touch, no talk, no eye contact”). She definitely has the alert protectiveness going on at times also. She loves to stick her snout in gopher holes, gets the zoomies during trips to the beach. Overall, she has some stubbornness at times but was very easily trained and redirected. I definitely plan to share if I do get her tested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A DNA test would tell you for sure.She looks similar to my girl Misty who is a 'Euro Hound',a mixed breed racing type husky.Misty's ears are floppy though.I've never done the test with her.
She does a bit! Lol

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wow, Carolina Dogs look kind of like dingos! I think they are also about 40 lbs (medium size) not in the typical 60-80 lb range like a GSD (large size) Huskies are also medium-size dogs. How much does your dog weigh?

I can see what you mean about the tail, and the ear size and face shape match Carolina Dog too.
Her markings are very "huskyish" though...
If you get the DNA test, let us know!

Probably the main things that convinced me my dog was not pure Husky were his weight (72 lbs, significantly out of standard for a husky) and his personality (no desire to escape whereas huskies have a reputation for being Houdinis / suspicion of strangers where huskies tend to be friendly and easygoing). I want to get the DNA test done too someday!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow, Carolina Dogs look kind of like dingos! I think they are also about 40 lbs (medium size) not in the typical 60-80 lb range like a GSD (large size) Huskies are also medium-size dogs. How much does your dog weigh?

I can see what you mean about the tail, and the ear size and face shape match Carolina Dog too.
Her markings are very "huskyish" though...
If you get the DNA test, let us know!

Probably the main things that convinced me my dog was not pure Husky were his weight (72 lbs, significantly out of standard for a husky) and his personality (no desire to escape whereas huskies have a reputation for being Houdinis / suspicion of strangers where huskies tend to be friendly and easygoing). I want to get the DNA test done too someday!
Haha I could thought so too and figured maybe I was crazy, but there’s just something different with her. She is around 60-62lbs of pure muscle (athletic), and she’s never really had the urge to escape, mild energy, the only husky I’ve noticed in her could potentially be her markings, her stubbornness with recall at times or when she sees other dogs and gets extremely fixated wanting to greet them. Otherwise she minds pretty well. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts