German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kairo has gotten a bit mouthy in the past week and a half and I don't mean chewing. When I verbally correct him for nipping me or someone else he barks at me and if I point my finger at him and tell him no, he snaps at the air in front of me. Anyone else going through this? It's not a major issue, but just like you don't allow a human kid to go mouthing off, I don't want the furkid to think this acceptable behavior.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Ignore any behavior that you want to go away. When he barks, he becomes invisible. Saying no and shaking your finger is offering him the attention he's demanding.

If you have to, put him in his crate, close the door, walk away, saying nothing.

When you catch him being quiet---then look at him, tell him how good he is, pet him, etc.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will give it a try. He's actually improved a great deal since first descending into gator mode about 3 weeks ago, at that point it seemed nothing would stop him. Now a sharp "Stop!" or "No" at least get's him to disengage. Another thing he does after being scolded is run over to his bed and kill it...I guess that would be the equivalent of a 5 year old slamming his bedroom door LOL.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hehe - Blue does the same thing and I think it's SOO cute! Of course, I don't let him know this, but I just have to laugh when I push him off the cat (he plays too rough sometimes and this goofy cat just puts up with it!) and he snaps the air - he has to have the last word.

My tactic has been like Luca_stl said - just ignore it. I figure he's allowed to talk back as long as he does what I've said - no point in squelching him. I think I'd take the same stance with a human kid, too. I mean, they couldn't go overboard with it and get rude or obnoxious, but they're allowed to let out a little of that frustration, but I still wouldn't acknowledge (reward) it. Then, again, I've never had a human kid and I'm not sure I want to test the theory, yet.

~L'aura

·
Registered
927 Posts
Lol when I read your post Blue, it had me on the floor because Shane use to do the same thing when he was a puppy! In fact, under the "picture" section, I posted a sad picture of Shane because I yelled at him when he backed talk to me!

The way I corrected it, that every time Shane would bark back, I just let him that behavior was not tolerated, I would stop play or something.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
L'aura I've got to admit it does make me laugh and I think my laughing while telling him no is just encouraging him. He tried it again around lunch time today and straight to crate he went. I don't know if it worked yet, I'll have to see when we have our afternoon playtime. Another mistake I made was running with one of his tug toys and he went after my legs instead of the toy, well I started laughing and I couldn't stop. He tripped me and I was on my back trying to hold him off and stop laughing at the same time. I think I may have jeopardized my alpha status there

Well Liljah I'm glad to see that they grow out of it. I don't want to be that dog owner who gets sassed out by my dog in public...oh the shame LOL.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I must admit I like a pup with a bit of an attitude, especially when the dog has a good owner.

Frankly, I doubt you will ever hurt your Alpha status. Why, a different topic, but when a GSD knows it is loved the dog responds accordingly.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Molly was a back talker as a puppy too. I even took a short video of her little back talks. It was so cute when I watch the video, but I did what other said, I just ignored her when she was like this. She finally out grew it.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Re: My pup's being a smart @ss...The evidence

Ah, I remember those days...good times

·
Registered
521 Posts

OMG my almost 4 month old pup does the same exact thing. It's funny because he does it to me only, and I am the one he is really attached to. He won't do it to my husband!!! Both my ankles and my arms say his name all over. I have spent a lot in toys, bones, etc., but he seems to be addicted to this behavior.. Please help anyone!!!!

·
Registered
903 Posts

Kodiak does the same thing. My husband brought in a few pieces of plaster board for our bathroom and Kodiak proceeded to think they were for his chewing pleasure. My husband corrected him with a sharp NO. Well...my husband actually called me at work to let me hear the big sassing fuss! He had a tantrum! My husband covered the boards with blankets and Kodiak then forgot all about them. He really does have to have the last "word"!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts