German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again people :D, still new to raising dogs so i have lots of concerns :eek:
my puppy just turned 5 months and she only weighs 33 lbs ..
i read somewhere that she should be 50 lbs by this age:eek:
here are some pics of her sorry for bad quality took them at night
so is she skinny or need to change her diet??

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
She is very young thats a tad small, but she sounds like she will be within standard at maturity. As long as she is eating well I wouldnt worry whats the vet say. She is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
First she looks healthy to me! Hard to tell by the dark photos though.
Every dog is an individual and grows at different rates in there life. Some dogs stop growing at 9 months (my sisters dog) others dont stop until they are well over a year!
My Zelda is 6 months and weighs about 50 pounds. at 5 months she was about 41 pounds.

What kind of dog food are you feeding? They may have to do with it, some dog food is very poor with less than satisfactory ingredients.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i used to feed her dry food "brit premium" untill she was 4 months and a half
at this point i noticed that she was very skinny "10 kgs" so i changed her diet into raw food
at 4 months she started to eat raw chicken wings and vegs with rice as her main meal, so over the past 2 weeks she gained 5 kgs, is that ok?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My male will be 5 months on Sat, and only weighs 35 lbs. I've had the same worries as you, when I read about other puppies being 50-60 lbs at this age. But I figure my guy is just growing slowly, or will possibly be a smaller shepherd, because he seems to be the right weight for his frame... my vet says he looks great and is growing fine. Your dog (from what I can see) looks to be a good weight for her frame and doesn't appear skinny. Hard to say 100% because of the photo quality.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Honestly Rusty was around the same weight at that age.

He was done growing height wise at 12 months, 25". He was just at the vets last week and weighed 75 pounds-2 pounds more than least year at 2 years old. I don't really see him going over that. He's a good weight for his frame.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dogs grow at different rates. As long as shes healthy she'll grow and fill out in due time, even if it is on the smaller side of the spectrum

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you had a female at 50lbs by 5 months she would end up way outside the standard I think. The highest standard for a female is only 70lbs. Females are supposed to be a fair amount smaller than males. A lot of people loot at the "growth chart" that is all over the web, make sure you are looking at the female part. I also noticed that if a dog is at the weights that shows for a female they would probably end up at the maximum for the GSD female standard. I don't thik your female will hit 70lbs but I think it will end up well within the standard.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Unless she has a huge growth spurt. Im gonna say she will be either at 50 lbs or maybe 55lbs. Thats my guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts