German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just joined, and you can find my initial post in the introduction section to see a brief history of why I got this little critter.

A few of the concerns I have for my dog are:

-Poop eating (I know, common among puppies and "normal" for dogs). I have been working on breaking this habit with "leave it" and pulling him away. Obviously he hasn't yet learned a lot for commands being only 8 weeks old. Also, I saw some of the poop he did eat, and it had worms in it...so I am taking my pup to the vet at 0900 am this morning to get a full work up. Everything I can possibly get done that day I will. He is due for his 3rd set of vaccines on the 16th.

-I am worried about his diet too, he seems skinny compared to some of the puppies I have seen online his age. I was given eukanuba large breed puppy food from the breeder, but I am switching to the Wellness Super5mix large breed puppy food and treats.

-Crate training, I work in a hospital, and live 10 minutes away, so sometimes checking every hour is impossible (for potty breaks). I usually check AT LEAST every 3 hours, but I know that's way too long for a young pup. He won't yet go into the crate on command, but I can put a few treats down and he will go in without a fight. He has pooped in the crate twice in 4 days time, and of course he ate it all. If he does whine when he is in it or alone without me, it's only for a few minutes. He does get extremely excited when I let him out. I just want to make sure I avoid making the crate seem like a punishment, and also want to keep him from getting any seperation anxiety. I know I seem paranoid, but I just don't want him to have any issues because he will be going for protection training (PSA I am guessing), agility hopefully, and tracking. All of that I obviously don't worry about for a long time, but I want him to be completely capable of being safe and able to protect myself and my family if needed. Right now I have an XL crate with the majority of it blocked off, leaving him enough room to lay down, stand up, and turn around. Is it ok that I feed him first thing in the morning (10-20 minutes), plus water, take him out to potty, crate him, go to work and return to him @ lunch time, then feed him after I get off work (10-20 min)? Let me know if I need to change something please!!! I do this to keep the accidents to a minimum.

-Biting! I know this is normal for puppies, but I cannot seem to keep him from trying to rip my skin off. I have several toys and a flirt pole for him to play with, sometimes he will just bite the toy and go straight for my hands. Annoying, but I know it's normal. I don't hit him, I have tried to use the clicker and treats to teach, no, off, leave it, etc...but I guess he is really too young to absorb a lot.

I am sure I am missing some stuff, but I will ask as this thread goes on when I remember.

Here are some pictures of him from day one until recently:

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need an admin to allow me to edit my first post so I can post the pictures please!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just wanted to give my 2 cents about the poop eating. I'm new at this but when I got my pup he was 8 weeks and under weight at 9 pounds. He was eating his poop and ate his kibble like we had never eaten before. No worms or anything, just hungry. After a week he slowed down eating and gained 4 pounds and stopped eating poop. I think he was just hungry.

Just my observation.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You only have a few minutes to edit a post, then it's too late, but you can always add them in a new post on the thread! :) I had saved a week of vacation for when I brought my puppy home, but decided to work a half day so that I could extend the week into 2 weeks! I think my puppy has amazing control though. Even when he was 8 weeks old, he wouldn't have an accident if left for the morning while I went to work. At night, I tried getting up every 3 hours, but he wouldn't even go at the midnight and 3 am trip so I finally just ... quit and didn't take him up all night until about 4 or 5 am.

For the crate training, you might see about picking up a small crate on craigslist (or the equivalent) to use. I used my shih tzu's old crate for the pup until he outgrew it and never had an issue because it's not as wide as your crate probably is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts