German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German Shepherd pup will play well with all dogs and different sizes but whenever a pup is in the mix he won't play with any of the other dogs and he doesn't play very nice!!!! He is almost 10 months and he has been doing this for a few months.... I correct the behavior and have left the dog park but was wondering if this was normal or not???? He is submissive with all the other dogs, it's the weirdest thing!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Some dogs don't do well with puppies, just like some humans don't do well with little babies. They move and act differently :)

In your case I would guess that it's because he's normally the "baby" of the group and when a new baby comes in he sees it as an opportunity to play rougher and harder because the younger dog can't tell him off as well as the older larger dogs.

I would manage the playtime and if he starts to get out of hand, he gets leashed and a time out away from the play. If he's released again and misbehaves I would leave. He'll quickly learn that certain styles of play makes the fun go away and if he wants to keep playing he needs to calm it down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, that is exactly what I do so I guess I'm handling it correctly!!!!! He is usually the submissive one so I suppose he sees his chance to be dominant with other pups....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts