German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

My darling 10 week old puppy, Drogo, will not stop trying to chew on me. I've grown up with German Shepherds but we always adopted older dogs and I've never experienced full on puppy mode. I've spent hours on the forums looking at advice and techniques, unfortunately, I haven't found anything that works....yet. I understand that this is probably part of the puppy process and eventually he will stop but I had a rather scary moment the other night. He latched onto my wrist when I was trying to leave the room due to his biting. My husband literally had to pry him off. It was a little upsetting that he seemed to get more excited that I was in pain and yelling ouch. Apparently, I'm a walking squeaky toy.

Redirection works for 5 seconds then he'll drop the toy and go after my hand. When I disengage and leave the room, he'll whine for a few seconds then go after something he isn't supposed to (i.e. dining room furniture that I love). We tried a metal can filled with pennies that we shake when the biting happens but he just wanted to bite the can too. Tried a spray bottle, he liked it. We've tried putting him in time out but he doesn't seem to mind. Obviously "yelping" doesn't work. He has countless bones/toys of all shapes and sizes. We go on walks regularly. Even when he is dead tired he still bites. I'm trying to stay away from physical punishment but it's really hard to control my natural reaction when he sinks his teeth into my calf. Next thing I'm going to try is dousing myself in sour apple spray. Fingers crossed. We can't start puppy classes until he gets his next set of vaccinations in two weeks, in the mean time he is doing well with learning commands at home (besides "NO" haha).

Around new people, children and other dogs (only ones we know are fully vaccinated) he is a perfect angel. His demeanor completely changes, he doesn't bite AT ALL, not even on me. It seems he only bites when he feels confident and comfortable, which makes me think it's not out of aggression, just play. I suppose I just need some reassurance that this will eventually get better. This experience gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "love hurts". :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
LOL.I know how you feel. They call them landsharks on this site for a reason. You should see my arms and hands, its embarrassing and yet im not as bad off as some people on here. I have a 5 month old that still does the landshark thing, hes still teething (just found our first tooth today) and yes he only bites family too. i think its because they are comfortable with us. He even bites when hes falling asleep. Keep up with the redirecting and making the redirecting as fun as possible. I find my pup loves to play tug with the rope, because if i just gave him the toy it wasnt fun enough. Now that hes older he occupies himself longer. I got a lot of good ideas on this site like wetting a clean rag and freezing it and giving ice. My pup loves that and everytime he hears the freezer open he comes running..lol. Now if only my arms and hands would heal faster that would be great.Hang in there, you will find that the older they get the better they are at bite inhibition and they dont bite so hard ALL the time. My pup now seems to be the bittiest in the morning when he wants to get chased. I have two pair pjs that he has wripped the pockets off, ugghhhh. Luckily they are so cute otherwise hed be outside in the real dog house lol

By the way welcome to the site. There are lots of long time members that will help you with your situation and have more ideas. Such a cute pup you have too.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hi and Welcome I have a 13 week old and he hasn't been that bad a simple but firm No does the trick for him as I'm sure that won't work for your little guy.. did you try the bitter apple spray although some dogs tend to enjoy it... Hope some more people can chime in with more helpful solutions, Good luck lol....

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
with age, training and direction from you and your husband
the nipping will stop. welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

Haven't tried to the bitter apple spray yet, making a trip to the pet store tonight. With my luck he'll probably like it!

I will definitely try the frozen rag, great idea. He seems to like ripping things apart haha. I can relate, the majority of my yoga pants now have holes in them and I look like an abuse victim. He's finally decided he likes to chase the tennis ball so I've been attempting to wear him out with that. If only he could sit in my lap without chomping on my hand....one day!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I finally found the only known cure for this .. 4 months of time :(

You can get them to chew on other things but there is nothing like mom and dads hands!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I feel your pain - literally. My 14 week old does the same thing. I can generally tell in the morning when he is let out of his crate, he either tries to lick the toes or lunges directly for the feet. It goes in spurts with him, he can go for days and just a "no biting" or a redirect with a chew toy works, other days he waits until I have my hands full with something then goes straight for the ankles or feet. I will admit he has gotten better and I am told with age it will improve even more.:p

·
Registered
124 Posts
You are not the only one. Same problem here! I have 2 small girls too, so it is a bit difficult at times. He has 2 different play modes a) landshrk b) chase. If he is in chase I allow them to play but when the landshark is here I make them get on the couch and try to redirect with his best toys. I will be glad when this phase is done. Luckily he has only bitten me hard but I worry with my girls. I dont want them to be scared of him. He also thinks its funny when I yelp and only bites more. I will try frozen wash cloth too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a14 week old GSD, Freya. She still tries to bite but only mouths, she never puts pressure down. From day one, if she put my hand in her mouth I would push my hand towards the back of her mouth. Not down her thrust, and not to where it hurts. Just to where they don't like it. Land Shark has not been a real issue, do far.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
710 Posts
So, this doesn't help the OP, but why don't American breeders train this out before the puppy is 8 weeks old? Every puppy I have imported from Europe has been trained not to bite, and my USA born puppies are little piranahs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh how familiar this sounds, LOL! I'm in the middle of it with my puppy, too. I've gotten some good advice here from people with a lot more experience and knowledge of dogs than I have -- Maisey is my first -- and I just keep trying to see which strategy/method will eventually work best for me and for her.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Been there . . . seen that. Ranger was full-on landshark for the first few months. We all had scratches and holes all over our arms and tears in our socks/pants/long sleeve shirts. Tried everything to redirect, etc. Got some weird looks from the pediatrician, teachers, other parents, etc. :D

All I can echo is what some others have said . . . Ranger is about 7 months old now and he's been a ton better since about 5 months. He just has pretty much stopped with the landshark routine--he really started chilling out when he lost a lot of his puppy teeth (not sure if that was related or coincidence). He still likes to "mouth" but he's learned good bite control and his adult teeth just don't do the damage that those puppy daggers did. So I would say just keep trying with the training . . . and hopefully you'll see what we saw and the puppy just kind of grows out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I totally relate. I was glad to go to Europe on vacation as bad as that sounds while Troop was 3 months because my arms needed a rest. Got home, she is now at 4 months and looks like she has chilled out significantly. No nipping, more licking...

I won't say it was all time, she needed to be told not to bite so hard...but they just have no idea how sharp their little teeth are.

·
Registered
55 Posts
One practical suggestion: when dealing with your Piranha, wear protection gear: long gloves, long sleeves etc. I use gauntlets which I purchased for my thorny rosebushes and it helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts