German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My puppy is 9 months old, she used to be very energetic, wanting to play, super active and playful at the dog park and then her first heat happened... Her heat started 2nd week of April and that's when she became lazy, sleeping all the time, her appetite decreased substantiall. I think her heat finished long time ago and she is still restless, sleeping all day and night long, no appetite. If she is not sleeping she is just laying down with her head on her paws looking at us like she is dissapointed. We take her to the dog park regularly, taking her for walks, playing fetch etc. She plays when you initiate it and she does go to the park and plays with other dogs for a bit but when we come home, we see her in her favourite "nobody loves me" pose again. What could have possibly happened? It's very unlikely that she is pregnant because we have been super careful and did not leave her outside alone. I'm very worried and she makes me feel gulty all the time with her head on her paws, we give her so much love and affection, enough attention and her walks are regular 2 times a day with active plays. Nothing changed from our side but her behaviour changed. Please help!!☹

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,810 Posts
If she is healthy, walked for miles, played with and well fed it is ok for your dog to be a bit bored now and then. No one can or should entertain their dogs all day long. If in doubt, have the vet give your gal a check.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
vet check to rule out an infection in the uterus (pyromania). she could be picking up on your guilt and reacting because she thinks you are upset.
those are the first 2 things that come to mind

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I noticed a decided decrease in activity level for my pup too directly after her first heat. We did have a regularly scheduled vet wellness checkup shortly thereafter, and she was given a clean bill of health. But she's still acting differently than she did before her heat...eating less eagerly, running and playing less, etc.

I'm not saying that it's not worth having your vet verify that your dog is healthy, it's a good idea! But mine definitely is acting the same or similar and there is nothing physically wrong with her, so maybe it's just a maturation thing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed a decided decrease in activity level for my pup too directly after her first heat. We did have a regularly scheduled vet wellness checkup shortly thereafter, and she was given a clean bill of health. But she's still acting differently than she did before her heat...eating less eagerly, running and playing less, etc.

I'm not saying that it's not worth having your vet verify that your dog is healthy, it's a good idea! But mine definitely is acting the same or similar and there is nothing physically wrong with her, so maybe it's just a maturation thing?
Thank you for sharing this! It's definitely reassuring. We are taking her to the vet soon to spay her and will ask them this question. Hopefully it's normal and as you said a sign of maturing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts