German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this... I think Wolfgang is nocturnal or a vampire. His latest thing is wanting to go out at 2:30am to pee and poop. UGH!

His standard is to be up by 4am.

I have GOT to get him on a better schedule cause this is killing me. Any advice?

·
Registered
656 Posts
He's about what, 4 months?

Is he crated during the night? If hes crated while you sleep he will eventually get on the same exact schedule as you.

My pup around 4 months still went out once in the middle of the night and back into the crate until about 6am(weekdays) and 8am(weekends).

He still gives a little whine when he wakes up but eventually they just know your schedule. You might even be amazed when it heads to the crate at a certain time if you usually go to bed at a set time. Mine does that randomly, its funny.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
What are your feeding times?
My puppy is 18 weeks old and she can hold it all night long. I feed her at night around 5-7pm and don't give her water after 8pm. She gets exercise in the am and also a lot in the evening, two-toy playing and obedience. she goes out the last time at 10.30pm and can hold it until 6am.
Try that?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I'm with everyone else. You have an intelligent and bored puppy who needs alot more mental and physical activity so he'll be truly exhausted and have to sleep all night.

DOG CLASSES! Socialization so bringing him everywhere with you. Car rides, long walks, best of all is any unleashed activities. Friends with friendly puppies or adults who can play outdoors together safely are a find.

'Real' exercise is easy to see. When I get back in car or house after it with the pup, they disappear into their crates or dog bed for the next hour to rest up. And they will also soon be sleeping thru the night.

DOG CLASSES!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've had some success this weekend - Saturday night he slept OK. He did get up at 3 but slept thru until 6 after that... quiet as a church mouse.

Yesterday he and his sister got plenty of physical exercise plus we did some obedience training. Took him out at 4:30 and he would have made it until 5 except that I had to get up and... well you know LOL!

Tonight we'll play some ball - go for a walk and do more obedience training. His next class isnt until June 2 - we're going to be away so that was the only class that would work.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Further success - last night he wanted to go out at 11... again he slept until one of us got up at 4:45 (I get up at 5ish so this is all good!!!!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts