German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

My 6 month puppy has been having diarrhea / loose stools since we got him (almost 2 moths ago). We have been giving him 4health Puppy Formula from TSC. We give him everyday 4 cups of food. 2 in the morning and 2 at the evening.

Sometimes his stools are normal but, they really stink.

We took the stools to the vet to nothing came up.

Are we doing something wrong? Should we change his food? If so, which brand do you recommend?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Hello everybody,

My 6 month puppy has been having diarrhea / loose stools since we got him (almost 2 moths ago). We have been giving him 4health Puppy Formula from TSC. We give him everyday 4 cups of food. 2 in the morning and 2 at the evening.

Sometimes his stools are normal but, they really stink.

We took the stools to the vet to nothing came up.

Are we doing something wrong? Should we change his food? If so, which brand do you recommend?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!
Hi!
If he's been on this food a while I would personally change it to a better quality food (IMHO) something like Natures Variety-Non Grain, add some canned (non spiced) pumpkin (about 2 tablespoons per meal) and go to the health food store and get some "Slippery Elm" , which calms the stomach (give him 2 capsules per feeding) and some "Pro-Biotics" (from the refrigerator section of the health food store) to balance his gut.
Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
When we first got our puppy (3weeks ago), he had diarrhea too.
After a week of being on a bland diet the vet gave him antibiotics.
The antibiotics didn't do anything though. Someone recommended canned pumpkin (I got organic with no additives-just pumpkin).
After two days of some pumpkin mixed with his food, his diarrhea went away. :)
We're now mixing in his blue buffalo with the bland diet food with no stomach issues.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
111 Posts
Canned pumpkin is amazing! When I first got my puppy they had her on that 4health also. And honestly. That stuff gave her diarrhea that seriously came out like water. We had our vet check her out and said she was healthy other then that. She put her on a bland diet for a week (perscription diet ID) and told us to throw in pumpkin! And as we were switching her food over to that blue diamond or buffalo or what ever it is... Keep the pumpkin in her food for another week after switching it over... And then slowly take.away the pumpkin and after wards our puppy was normal! Yay! I still everyonce in a while will give her a teaspoon on pumpkin just cause she likes it! It doesn't hurt them. And helps make their coats soft!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I'd try a different food perhaps and see if there's an improvement.

My pup had chronic diarrhea (and giardia!!) and the only thing that really turned it around was going to a raw diet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the same issue from 7 weeks to 12 weeks. Took her to the vet and she had worms. That got treated and we thought it was over but it wasn't... Breeder switched her to adult food (taste of the wild) but apparently... not only worms was the problem... Also her stomach didn't like it that well so we switch to "Basics" Turkey and Potato. I cannot remember the actual brand... It has a massive Basics print and the packaging is purple outlined with cream color in the middle. Now she has no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would do a retest,,what did your vet test for? Giardia? coccidiosis?? parasites??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts