German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my first GSD puppy at 9 weeks old, he is now 14 weeks and he doesn’t like affection he is incredibly smart, vocal, and obeys the commands I give him, he can walk off leash by my side (he knows heel, and to sit down whenever I stop walking), he learned how to sit/lay down/give me paw/sit pretty in about 3 days, he responds to other people giving him commands probably four time out of the ten times he’s asked, with me it’s 100% of the time, but the problem is he doesn’t want affection, he walks like an older dog, and is stubborn and lower energy like one, I know he’s not sick. He also does this thing where if he doesn’t get what he wants he will do a noise like something is hurting him. he also screams while getting picked up when I first got him and wouldn’t even lay on the bed, if I pet him he goes to lay down somewhere else, if I pick him up to sit in my lap he tries to break free the entire time and starts panting hard.
I just wish I could do something that would show him in trust worthy a few weeks ago he wouldn’t even show me his tummy. Any help would be greatly appreciated is this his personality am I doing something wrong? I use reward based training, and it seems to work wonders.
Thank you for reading all this

(I don’t actually use the choke collar on him, he wears it as jewelry, !just for looks!)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Welcome, and we'd love you to share puppy pictures!

It sounds like you're expecting shih tzu/lap dog behaviour. While there are some german shepherd snugglers out there, the breed wants to be near you; they will follow you from room to room, or know exactly where you are in the house, but don't like 'smothering'. Sorry, but you are stressing him by trying to make him sit on your lap. He doesn't enjoy that type of affection.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
The above post is so perfect describing German Shepherds. Mine walk so close they step on the back of my flip flops. Yours may change as he grows also. Mine are leaners, leaning against my legs when I sit, always within touching range.
And yes pictures are always welcome.😉

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
If it is humid it might be too hot in your lap. Humidity is harder on our dogs than heat, sometimes. My big-boy, as a youngster, thought every touch was an invitation to wrestle and rough house. He was nearly full grown before I yelled to my hubby, "look, I'm petting my dog!" as he sat there while I stroked the hair on the back of his head. Now at 7 years old he sometimes comes to get petting and nudging but not for long. He loves and trusts us, no doubt, but he's not a snuggle-and-pet-me creature.

·
Registered
800 Posts
As others have said, this is not a cuddly breed. I think you are expecting things from your pup that it cannot do and is not bred to be.

That may or may not change as the dog gets older. But for now I wouldn't force that on the pup. He will let you know if and when he wants your affection.

For now, enjoy and appreciate who and what he is.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
I have never had a breed that follows me everywhere I go, and I mean everywhere.
I can reach down at all times and touch impossibly soft, velvety ears.
To me, this is the ultimate adoration from a dog, and I could never be without it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Some dogs feel threatened and - to them - it seems you are trying to restrain them when you try to hug or otherwise control them. What you see as affection, they feel as a threat. Think if someone came up to you and wrapped themselves around you or tried to pick you up. I'd say back off and give him time to come to you. And remember, he's a German Shepherd, bred to protect livestock, something that requires a dog to be loose to round up the strays on his own if necessary. He's not a lap dog.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes, like everyone else has already said, the affection comes later. As puppies they can be quite aloof. My guy was aloof, I didn't do any 'formal' training till he was almost 4 months old. I just let him be a pup, and get use to us, our place, and all the other animals we have, I just instilled in him manners, and a few basic things periodically, sit, down, leave it, etc.... He's almost 10 months now, affectionate as heck, and won't leave me alone :ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome, and we'd love you to share puppy pictures!

It sounds like you're expecting shih tzu/lap dog behaviour. While there are some german shepherd snugglers out there, the breed wants to be near you; they will follow you from room to room, or know exactly where you are in the house, but don't like 'smothering'. Sorry, but you are stressing him by trying to make him sit on your lap. He doesn't enjoy that type of affection.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It took me a while to adjust to my German shepherd after several black labs. 99% of the time he is within eyeshot. 75% of the time he is within 10 feet of me.

But he only likes to touch a few minutes a day. Usually a quick ear rub or a tummy rub. Sometimes, if I am lucky, a quick snuggle before bed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think it all depends on the personality, maybe he won’t ever be an affectionate dog. My boy was affectionate from the start even though he’s a wriggly puppy, he loves being pet and belly rubbed but he still hates sleeping on the bed and cuddling with me on the bed. Jumps off after 5 minutes.

Bear - 9 month old male GSD & 5 cats - Benny (6), Nani (6), Kingston (6), Rigby (4) and Hazel (3)
314 Posts
My Bear isn't snuggly either. He will absolutely accept MY affection and gives me little nudges and kisses but he would never come lay on my lap or anything like that. And like others shared, he is always nearby one of the family members. Laying on my feet, up against my leg or just laying within ear shot. And wherever I go, he goes. Even if he's sleeping! It's his love language. : )

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Nitro is 7 1/2 now. He enjoys laying out in his yard, but after a while he'll give a polite little woof. He wont come inside and join me, he wants me out there, for the pleasure of my company. :sneaky:

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
My Shelby wasn't affectionate, as a puppy. They just aren't. She is almost 7 years old now. In typical GSD behavior, part of Shelby must be touching part of her human at all times. I am a very affectionate person. Therefore, I believe I have worn her down over the years. Her favorite command is now, "Mommy kiss!" She loves to lick me so much, that if I am in another room with my other dog and say, "Mommy kiss!', she comes running to be first. I will say that from a young age she warmed up to me, when I scratched her chest, shoulders and ears. She is funny about her head and face and would prefer they not be touched. LOL! Most dogs do not like to be picked up, or man handled. Don't take it personally.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Deja soaks up affection. Whenever I look at her she wags her tail and often turns on her back for a belly rub. But only when she is not playing or whatever you call 'work'.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Part of the OP makes me want to make sure the dog in entirely healthy and pain/discomfort free, then the rest of these comments are bang on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts