German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First time GSD owner, my puppy (18 weeks) likes to carry things around the house: her ball, tissues, socks when she can get her teeth on them.

Why does Juno do this? And how can I capitalize on this behaviour? Should I encourage it? Discourage it?

Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Agreed with previous posters. Kias likes to just randomly pick things up and carry them around when we walk. As long as it's not a potentially dangerous object or something you don't want her to have, it's perfectly fine and imo just a funny personality type!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Agree with others on if it's a harmful item or not, but is pretty funny to see them race out with their new found "toy"! Also good way to work on puppy style "release" and trade out, come and drop it!

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Hello,

First time GSD owner, my puppy (18 weeks) likes to carry things around the house: her ball, tissues, socks when she can get her teeth on them.

Why does Juno do this? And how can I capitalize on this behaviour? Should I encourage it? Discourage it?

Appreciate any feedback.
Perfect opportunity to teach trade. Shadow liked to steal socks, clean or dirty she just likes socks. She was not a chewer so it was harmless, she just got a kick out of thievery. Rather then discipline a harmless game, I taught her to trade. So when she stole a sock she would bring it to me for something better!
She wanted a bite of my salad one night, and thought dropping a dirty sock in my lap would accomplish that nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts