German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice :(:(

I've been lurking for a while and just decided to join thanks to what just happened.

I've a 9MO West German shepherd, we were outside so that he could relief himself, I noticed he was kinda ramped up, he wanted to play, started jumping at me and nipping, he was excited. Today I wasn't able to exercise him because the vet told me not do it ( he has some kind of worm which name I don't remember and just today we started treatment).

Anyways, after he did everything he had to do 3 neighbors were near my house, I was with my mom and we went to say hi. Actually my mom was the one that went to say hi. I didn't get near them because I knew he was kind ramped up instead I made him sit and this is where my neighbor came near me and helios jumped at her and tried to bit her, he failed, i made him sit and still my neighbor was there i guess shocked and he jumped again and i pulled him to me and made him sit again i heard this "growling" tho i've heard it before since he's so vocal, when we settled I saw that she had this lil bruise but still a bruise so he indeed did bit her....:(

After he bit her he saw me with those wild eyes he has when he's playing with me.. I feel so guilty....... My puppy knows this neighbor, she has petted him,she has played with him but still he did this..

Before that this other neighbor approached my car to say hi and he didn't care he just sniffed her and that was it.. and at the vet everything was fine i don't understand why he did that, what triggered that bite...:(:(

I feel devastated.....

Is this some kind of Fear aggresion?:(:(

:help::help::help:

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

He could be going thru a fear stage. How do you "play" with him? A tug game or fetch wears a pup out over wrestling with no toy to target.
Was he hackled, growling or was he just ramped up in a play mode?
Whatever it is, I would step up the NILIF and don't set him up to fail again.
He needs to be under control from now on, or you could have a bite report on his record(or worse)
Where in the body did he bite? What was her body language showing as she approached him?
Do you have him in obedience classes or other structured training?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's very aloof btw ..if someone say his name he don't even pay attention to the person , he's not a snuggle kind of dog, he is like "mom,that's enough love...let's just play"..

Tho, there are persons he doesn't like when he's inside the car and he will start barking and there are persons which won't make him bark..

and when we're walking I've noticed that he'll start this deep staring at whoever is near us so I have to distract him , it's not with everyone just some people.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
It sounds more like he was just over excited as you explained. You need to work more on his manners and his meet and greet with people. I am guessing that part of this was he just needed to release some pent up energy and unfortunatly your neighbor was the brunt of his over excitement.

·
Registered
940 Posts
It sounds more like he was just over excited as you explained. You need to work more on his manners and his meet and greet with people. I am guessing that part of this was he just needed to release some pent up energy and unfortunatly your neighbor was the brunt of his over excitement.
^^^I agree

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did he start heartworm treatment? It's the only worm I can think of where the vet tells you to keep them quiet durring treatment...
Anyway, it sounds to me (and I'm NOT an expert) like he's a young guy, still a pup, and he needs to learn manners. Has he been to obedience class?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Does your dog have heartworms? You mentioned the vet telling you that had to keep him quiet because he has "some sort of worms" and that he just started treatment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum.

He could be going thru a fear stage.
Was he hackled, growling or was he just ramped up in a play mode?
Whatever it is, I would step up the NILIF and don't set him up to fail again.
He needs to be under control from now on, or you could have a bite report on his record(or worse)
Where in the body did he bite? What was her body language showing as she approached him?
Do you have him in obedience classes or other structured training?
Thanks.

I saw no hackles, he did growl but I've heard that growl before when playing or maybe it's just me making excuses.

I do NILIF,my mom sometimes thinks that im overreacting with NILIF.. and I won't..actually i didn't notice any sign in his body language..so when she came near me and he jumped at her i was kinda shocked..

He bit her arm , and im not sure..it was dark :(
He has gone through obedience classes, he knows sit/stay/down/ and heel knows a few tricks such as play dead/watch/paw/beg

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
How were you playing with him before it happened?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what i thot but at the same time i didn't want to make any excuses...and my other neighbor told me that too.. though the other neighbor told to my other neighbor that got bit that she should had backed off and that she knew it was aggresion that some dogs when mature don't like some people.. i was just speechless... i started to distract him making him focus on me while on heel while my mom was there with them..:( AND GOD there had to be this neighbor im pretty sure that by tomorrow everybody will know what happened today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did he start heartworm treatment? It's the only worm I can think of where the vet tells you to keep them quiet durring treatment...
Anyway, it sounds to me (and I'm NOT an expert) like he's a young guy, still a pup, and he needs to learn manners. Has he been to obedience class?
No, it's not heartworm,I will check in a while what was the name of the worm.. and yes he has been through obedience classes he's actually really aloof so im always paying attention to his body language.. and yes he indeed needs to learn manners.. sometimes **** try to play rough when visitors are in my house, im always with a toy so that i can distract him till he relaxs:crazy:

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I agree, too. Shasta is the same way. When she's excited, she even greets us with jumping and snapping. When we approach other people, I make sure to have her under firm control.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How were you playing with him before it happened?
LOL... I was running with him in the grass in a heel position and he kept staring at me when i noticed that he started to jump I quickly picked up a stick and made him sit LOL and then he went to poop, i called my mom so that she could see the improvement in his poop because he had diarrhea when we came back he had still the stick in his mouth i told tim leave it and thats when we went near our house and the neighbors were there, though he didn't wanna leave that stick behind........Maybe If I had let him keep the stick maybe that wouldn't have happened:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does your dog have heartworms? You mentioned the vet telling you that had to keep him quiet because he has "some sort of worms" and that he just started treatment.
No, not heartworms we noticed thanks to his diarrhea and him being underweight and not gaining weigh even though he was eating like a demond

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, too. Shasta is the same way. When she's excited, she even greets us with jumping and snapping. When we approach other people, I make sure to have her under firm control.
yes..my puppy sometimes does that when he decides to no longer remember that he has to sit when greeting us:eek:

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Sam do you ever use balls or tug toys to play with him? sticks are dangerous and not much to target. I would get a couple of nice strong balls on strings and a two handled tug, that will help him get his energy out and you can use it to your advantage while training. This site has nice quality ones, worth the price. www.hallmarkk9.com
http://www.hallmarkk9.com/gappayballonstring-large.aspx
http://www.hallmarkk9.com/gappaysynthetic2handletug3x25cm.aspx
www.elitek9.com has training toys, too.

I would also recommend getting back into some type of structured training with your boy! Track him with his meals, that will work his brain if you have to keep his body on rest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh..after the bite he just sat there.. watching me and thats when i started to distract him and i remember him wanting to play tug with his leash..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sam do you ever use balls or tug toys to play with him? sticks are dangerous and not much to target. I would get a couple of nice strong balls on strings and a two handled tug, that will help him get his energy out and you can use it to your advantage while training. This site has nice quality ones, worth the price. www.hallmarkk9.com
Gappay Ball on String - Large
Yes, i use balls , tugs,ropes, giant tennis balls i know that sticks are dangerous i also read that here:) but i needed something fast and thats when i picked up the stick, i had left the toy in the garage since i only took him out because he wanted to poop but i made him leave it after a while, he just had it in his mouth, trotting with pride:blush:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would also recommend getting back into some type of structured training with your boy! Track him with his meals, that will work his brain if you have to keep his body on rest.
That's a good idea, i also play Sit/stay with his toys, i made him sit/stay i throw the toy and i wait till he makes eye contact and i give him the release command, i hide his toys so that he can fetch them but with his meals will be more fun

1 - 20 of 29 Posts