German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as some of you may know 3 weeks ago I purchased an 8 week old german shepherd puppy. I'm not too familiar with my sub division since I just purchased a home here and I thought it would be nice for us to learn our new neighborhood together. So I walk her 3 times a day and we go around the whole neighborhood. They are still building putting up homes here since this area is fairly new so it makes for good sight seeing on our walk. About 5 houses down I've noticed that there is always a huge German Shepherd that's always barking at ppl walking by. Thw owners leaves this dog outside... but here's the kicker... they don't have a fence!! So the dog is just back there attached to a tie down :surprise:

So as my puppy and I are about to finish our walk... I noticed that the big GSD that's always barking and leaping at ppl from the backyard.. is now Laying down in front of the house... As I was walking I was thinking this can't be good but in the back of my mind I kept telling myself well maybe it's just tied in the front this time. NOPE! as we are walking this GSD gets up and starts jogging across the street towards us... I'm thinking a million things at once in slow motion.. oh **** what to do... do I run? I know better than that no don't run.. do I grab the puppy? do I try to get on top of someone's car? do I stand still? before I knew it the GSD was right there infront of my puppy and I.. I knew not to make any sudden movements so I just stood there and kept reassuring my puppy everything ok... the GSD slowly moves in towards my puppy and they are almost nose to nose.. talk about cutting the tension with a knife... then it pounced on her in and put its mouth around her head... then lunged away... I knew I had to do something... but do I pick her up??? I wanted to but at the same time I was thinking this dog is going to jump on me and rip me up if I pick her up.. so I started walking towards my house which at this point is about 6 houses down... as we are walking.. im trying to remain calm but keep moving.. the GSD lunges again and wraps its mouth around my puppy's body... then leaps away again.. I can tell its not actually biting my puppy but it is rough housing... so I'm still trying to walk towards my house by this time I am now passing the house where the dog lives... The thought crossed my mind to try to go over to the owners house and ring the bell but it was about 8AM. and it didn't appear like anyone was home... I didn't want to go onto their property because I was also thinking the dog might attack me for sure now that Im on their property/territory... so I keep walking it seems like its taking forever to get to my house and no one is around.... it's just us and the dog... the closer I get to my house the rougher it's getting with my puppy... my puppy was completely dry before this dog came along... now her fur is drenched/soaked from saliva of the other dog... FINALLY I'm at my house I press the button for my garage to go up and my puppy darts in... so now I'm going in and closing garage but guess what??? now the dog is in my GARAGE lol...I'm thinking my goodness.. so I raise the garage and it goes back outside and I close the garage again... this time last I saw was the GSD nose as my garage was closing... I usually always record my walks but this time my battery on camera was dead

Since I'm a dog lover I could not just go in my house without making sure this dog didn't harm anyone walking or that the dog didn't run away and the owners lose their dog... The wife was pissed and wanted to call animal control but I told her no... I charged my camera and went back outside to locate the dog... I have this footage and I'll update this post with a link after it's uploaded to youtube.... The dog was back in front of it's house.. I pulled up and parked & started recording.. I was not going to leave until the owners returned... I watched as this dog ran across the street to another neighbors house and took their shoes off their front porch & ran back to his backyard and put it in his dog house... lol then it ran across the street again I guess to grab more items... I took this time to get out my car and I rung the doorbell of the owners... no one was home... as I was going back to my car I heard a woman screaming... I looked down the street and she was froze like a statue and the dog was jumping up at her (not nipping or anything just leaping at her) I drove down the street and she thought the dog was mine I just told her no but I know where it lives and I offered her a ride back to her house... I then went back and followed the dog as he ran around the whole neighborhood going house to house backyard to backyard... I said ok I have to do something... this dog hasn't really "attacked" yet so maybe it's just a really really large puppy that's loose so I'm going to try to confine him until the owners return... so I got out my car and it came towards me.. leaped at me.. even nicked my arm... but I just kept walking saying "come on pup pup.. come on pup pup" trying to remain calm while thinking 1 wrong move and this dog is going to bite me up LOL// and I opened the gate to my fence.. and in he went.. and I closed the door LOL.. TRAPPED in my backyard.. I then asked some neighbors if they had the owners number because I have their dog in my backyard... I was able to contact the owners and they eventually got their dog back

Few days later no one has seen that dog outside anymore.... until now... it is back outside in their backyard... attached to a chain this time... I guess it's only a matter of time before this dog breaks free again and I have to save the day lol

Looking back I should have just picked the puppy up and if I got bit or attacked then just take legal actions...but it's easy to think of what I should have done after the fact instead of then and there

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds to me like he was just wanting to play with your puppy, lol. I hate how they keep him chained, but maybe they are only doing that until they can get a fence built. I find it hilarious that he stole the neighbors shoes, lol! You may not have anything to worry about, but never let your guard down just in case. Good luck!!

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm not getting "attacked" out of this, exactly? But I wouldn't want a large adult dog playing roughly with my young pup either.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
While this was probably a scary experience and not a safe situation for this dog or others, I did laugh about him stealing stuff and bringing it back to his house. All these people are going to think that there is s thief in the neighborhood and it a GSD.

I would approach the owners of the dog with the footage you havd and let them know that it's not safe(running across streets) for him and other people are afraid(statue woman)

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Sounds like a bored, unruly dog. Maybe make friends with the neighbor and when your pup is bigger, they can have a few play dates and burn some energy off together.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
While this was probably a scary experience and not a safe situation for this dog or others, I did laugh about him stealing stuff and bringing it back to his house. All these people are going to think that there is s thief in the neighborhood and it a GSD.

I would approach the owners of the dog with the footage you havd and let them know that it's not safe(running across streets) for him and other people are afraid(statue woman)
Right? I am cracking up at the thievery.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's terrifying. Glad you and your pup are ok.

Imo, you were both lucky. As was the lady walking down the street. Sure he may have just been playing/rough housing this time but not a chance I'd be ok risking in the future. Not w my dog. Not w myself. I commend you on helping your neighbor and trying to do the 'right' thing by keeping an eye on him. Admittedly, you also put yourself at risk.

You don't know this dog well and your only experience w him was knowing he barks and goes 'nuts' when you walk by. You took a huge chance. And it happened to work out ok...this time.

Maybe I'm overreacting..but this could have gone way wrong so many different times. There is nothing wrong w locking yourself inside and calling animal control. Let AC know there's a dog on the loose and you know where the dog resides. Let them handle the situation. Nothing would happen to the dog (he would be taken in and the owners would have to retrive him if they weren't home) and the owners would be forced to better contain their dog.

Only offering my perspective and don't want to see anything bad happen to you or your pup!

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Lol!Did the neighbors get their shoes back intact?I'm glad everything turned out ok and nobody got hurt!

·
Banned
56 Posts
He sounded like he wanted to play with your pup rather than cause your pup harm, it also sounds like the GSD wasn't trying to really hurt someone, just wanted to run around because he had so much energy, the shoe stealing is pretty funny though, reminds me of all my dogs grabbing shoes with a gait head held up high and proud like it's a trophy in their mouth.

What really, really annoys me is the irresponsibility of the owner(s), a dog should never be chained up and left outside. What's the point of even owning a dog if they're gonna do that, plus he sounds like he has loads of energy that he never gets to burn off, and since the yard isn't fenced up, this can happen again... But a much worse outcome.

Recently a friend of mine, they never chained up their dog, but their Husky / GSD mix got loose and darted off (because someone left the door open), the dog was always friendly with people, but got spooked and bit some stranger in the neighborhood who spooked him... They then reported the dog, and the dog was put down.. Even though it was a nip. For this dog, this could be the next outcome, or even being hit by a car... And or attacked in the yard by another animal because there is no fence.

People are gonna complain too, which isn't fun... Gah, that bothers me so much.

Also, I'm glad everything is OK.. I really feel bad for that dog though, seems like he never gets to burn up his energy, just the type of people who are sick of having a dog and neglect it, basically.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
That's terrifying. Glad you and your pup are ok.

Imo, you were both lucky. As was the lady walking down the street. Sure he may have just been playing/rough housing this time but not a chance I'd be ok risking in the future. Not w my dog. Not w myself. I commend you on helping your neighbor and trying to do the 'right' thing by keeping an eye on him. Admittedly, you also put yourself at risk.

You don't know this dog well and your only experience w him was knowing he barks and goes 'nuts' when you walk by. You took a huge chance. And it happened to work out ok...this time.

Maybe I'm overreacting..but this could have gone way wrong so many different times. There is nothing wrong w locking yourself inside and calling animal control. Let AC know there's a dog on the loose and you know where the dog resides. Let them handle the situation. Nothing would happen to the dog (he would be taken in and the owners would have to retrive him if they weren't home) and the owners would be forced to better contain their dog.

Only offering my perspective and don't want to see anything bad happen to you or your pup!

Well that all depends on where you live. There is a good chance the police would come and it could end badly. When my son was about 2 the GSD across the street cornered the mailman. The mailman was up the column of the house. The police came, not animal control. As soon as the dog made a move the officer pulled his gun. The only thing that stopped that officer was my son crying for him not to shoot the dog. Instead we got the dog in the yard together and helped the mailman down.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Agreed. I'm sure it's different everywhere.

I've just seen so many horror stories on here. And as I posted about a while ago, my brother's dog was a perfect example of a dog that only jumped and barked at the passerby the FIRST time he got out of his containment. The second time he attacked. Not sure why. I guess I'd just prefer to err on the side of caution...

Nobody wants to be the 'jerk' neighbor who calls AC for no reason..but IMO the neighbors are being careless for not having a better containment system in place for their dog.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Agreed. I'm sure it's different everywhere.

I've just seen so many horror stories on here. And as I posted about a while ago, my brother's dog was a perfect example of a dog that only jumped and barked at the passerby the FIRST time he got out of his containment. The second time he attacked. Not sure why. I guess I'd just prefer to err on the side of caution...

Nobody wants to be the 'jerk' neighbor who calls AC for no reason..but IMO the neighbors are being careless for not having a better containment system in place for their dog.
I agree. It doesn't matter if it's s poodle or a GSD, they need to respect the neighbors.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Would love to see that video of the shoe stealing...
but sad to hear about a dog, a probably beautiful wonderful dog being put into such a precarious position.
I hope the owner will listen to some sense and mind the dog, fence, etc...
or,...is it a nice dog? Maybe you want another gsd? He does sound like a big bored unruly puppy.
Was your puppy scared/upset or taking it all in as rough play? Usually the 'victims' are pretty good at knowing the difference.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would love to see that video of the shoe stealing...
but sad to hear about a dog, a probably beautiful wonderful dog being put into such a precarious position.
I hope the owner will listen to some sense and mind the dog, fence, etc...
or,...is it a nice dog? Maybe you want another gsd? He does sound like a big bored unruly puppy.
Was your puppy scared/upset or taking it all in as rough play? Usually the 'victims' are pretty good at knowing the difference.
she didn't enjoy it at all she was scared... yelping... curling up into a ball... it wasn't very good

almost reminds me of the youtube video of the deer trampling on the dog

·
Registered
505 Posts
she didn't enjoy it at all she was scared... yelping... curling up into a ball... it wasn't very good

almost reminds me of the youtube video of the deer trampling on the dog

Oh gosh, that is so horrible. The shoe stealing seams less cute now. Wonderful dogs do terrible things when left to their own devices. Hope your puppy is good now. And many grrrs to the gsd's owner. I dread loose dogs in the neighbourhood, and secondly, the tied dogs, because I worry they will get loose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts