German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I feel like an idiot chattering like a crazy person to my dog, but it seems to work. I can raise and lower his energy level by the pitch, volume, and excitement in my background chatter.

No single thing about training a dog seems to be that hard, It is just that there are a million little things to think of at one time. Plus, it seems essential to get the timing right.

Remarkably similar to learning to play the piano. The five-fingers on the right hand are doing one thing, the five-fingers on the left hand are doing another. But, nope you can't look at your hands, you can't even look at the notes on the music you are playing. you need to look a little bit ahead to anticipate what is come up next :)

This is humbling.

·
Super Moderator
32,138 Posts
I feel like an idiot chattering like a crazy person to my dog, but it seems to work. I can raise and lower his energy level by the pitch, volume, and excitement in my background chatter.

No single thing about training a dog seems to be that hard, It is just that there are a million little things to think of at one time. Plus, it seems essential to get the timing right.
The general concepts are fairly simple, but that doesn't mean it's always easy. As an excellent trainer we worked with years ago said "there's a lot of moving parts!". It may seem overwhelming right now, but a lot of it will become second nature over time and you won't have to think about all the little details as much as you do now. Puppies are a LOT of work but it's worth it to put the time and effort in now, because you're molding the dog you're going to be living with for hopefully at least the next 10+ years. Just keep in mind to try and look at everything from your puppy's point of view - if you didn't already know what you were trying to communicate to him, would you be able to figure it out? If not, find a way to make it clearer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, Today is a good time to raise a pup. The YouTubes are full of great training and behavioral videos. This forum has helpfull people to answer more specific points when I am confused. I found a good local trainer who is providing me weekly on-on-one reactive dog training sessions at her facility so we can experiment with how he handles different environments and situations.
I think we can get this figured out.

He got his two-day chip this morning for two-days accident-free. We are celebrating the victories where they come

·
Registered
5,125 Posts

Remarkably similar to learning to play the piano. The five-fingers on the right hand are doing one thing, the five-fingers on the left hand are doing another. But, nope you can't look at your hands, you can't even look at the notes on the music you are playing. you need to look a little bit ahead to anticipate what is come up next :)

This is humbling.
Very similar to playing the piano.
My neighbor's loved it when I was working with new dogs, said it was quality entertainment. Lol. But my current dog is 9 and still gets praise, praise, praise.
I am firmly of the belief that dogs are best enjoyed by being at their level. Let your puppy guide you on this journey.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's interesting. You will often hear top trainers talk about the fact that they are really training the owner. Most of training boils down to establishing a real connection with your pup, and practicing devastating consistency.

The more honest you can be with your self-assessment, the better you will become as a trainer. For me, the main thing I have to be aware of is frustration creeping in. If something frustrates me in training, I either move on to something else, or finish up with some fun play.

The great news is that there are a ton of resources around these days.

When I had Retrievers, the breeder our dogs came from was top field trial competitor. His partner, who is a life long dog trainer and competitor once told me that what makes Mark (the breeder) a great trainer is that he is the most patient man on earth. Not the answer I was expecting but it made a ton of sense and impacted my training.

Watch videos and read as much as you can about training and take bits and pieces from several of them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have found that watching the hands-on portion of training videos with the sound turned off is remarkably helpful for me. I just take in the way the dog and humans move together. I am hoping that a combination of seeing experts interact with their dog and hands-on practicing for me with my pup will make things second nature.

As long as I try to keep it interesting the pup seems to willing to give me all the time I need to figure out how to work with her.

Yep, frustration is the hardest thing for me. I am used to clocks, deadlines, and performance metrics. Pup is showing me a different approach to life.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I feel like an idiot chattering like a crazy person to my dog, but it seems to work.
LOL....Fellow idiot here......

I'm sure my neighbors and many others throughout the neighborhood thought I was nuttier than a squirrel turd with all my talking, praise, cues, verbal markers etc.......

But....it works.

SuperG

21 - 28 of 28 Posts